RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Rocky Morning

Old 02-13-2004, 09:08 AM

Jeff, the archive miner, at work again....

All of the other pictures are beautiful! I especially like LQQKER's.

Here's mine:
* VP Impasto
* Edge Preserving Smooth
* PhotoEffex Background Blur
* Multiply Layer with Xero LineArt
* PaintEngine Arctic (Effect ammount reduced to ~0.8)

-Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jch-rocky-morning.jpg (86.4 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2004, 09:45 AM

Very nice Jeff. I like the colors and the brush strokes.

Catia
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2004, 10:04 AM

Thanks, Catia.

I like the way Virtual Painter renders colors, but not the way it leaves the textures. I usually spend some time re-doing things after VP, to make them look less like VP was used.

-Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2004, 06:21 PM

LQQKER - great colors and the texture adds to the overall feel in this image. The frame feel you have added is a wonderful add.

catia - very warm and soothing result, colors are wonderful.

Christine - love the blue --- adds mystery, this came out very nice.

Danny - very nice result, and the off center is perfect.

Cheryl - always a pleasure to see your work, this is no exception!

Jeff - Very colorful and rich.

I duplicated original layer, then lasso on the chair copy and paste into new layer. Desaturate, find edges, add blur, Anisotropic, PE Borg. Desaturae the midle layer, used history brush (Wet Media) to add some color. Flatten, PE Arctic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ci-rocky-morninginprogress.jpg (92.6 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2004, 05:16 PM

Hi Guys!

I'm not sure that I understand this forum yet. Is it about how many filters etc you can use or are simple techniques that you think make an interesting pic valid? I've submited 2 pics. The first I stretched the photo to place the chair closer to thirds. Masked the chair and ran a slight radial blur to strengthen the chair and the sweep of the overhanging branches, then increased saturation. The second image I ran what I had done thru PhotoArtMaster. I tend to prefer the simplicity of the first but what do you think? I really like the variety I see here from everybody!

Cheers
Duv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Rocky Morning1.jpg (99.8 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Duv; 02-14-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2004, 05:23 PM

Here's the second pic.

Cheers
Duv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Rocky Morning.jpg (97.4 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2004, 06:52 PM

A different look. I used the Flaming Pear Infared, inverted it and did a little layer blending.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ci-rocky-morning-gaã«tan-le copy.jpg (83.2 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Hi Guys!

I'm not sure that I understand this forum yet. Is it about how many filters etc you can use or are simple techniques that you think make an interesting pic valid? I've submited 2 pics. The first I stretched the photo to place the chair closer to thirds. Masked the chair and ran a slight radial blur to strengthen the chair and the sweep of the overhanging branches, then increased saturation. The second image I ran what I had done thru PhotoArtMaster. I tend to prefer the simplicity of the first but what do you think? I really like the variety I see here from everybody!

Cheers
Duv
Most people probably start out in this hobby by applying one or two native filters from Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or whatever program they are using. As skills develop many choose to create effects that aren’t so easily recreated. Some decide to experiment with combinations of filters and/or plugins or, like you, acquire standalone dedicated programs like PhotoArtMaster. Others tinker with actions or scripts to apply labor intensive combinations of effects.

RE: Is it about how many filters etc you can use?
How one reaches a final result doesn't really matter. It can be a complex series of steps, including various combinations of filters, plugins and/or brush strokes (even across applications) applied to one or many layers or a relatively simple process.

I’d say it’s not about how many filters one can use, but how one uses the tools at hand. The final result is a function of the artist.

RE: Are simple techniques that you think make an interesting pic valid?
Absolutely. Keep in mind “interesting” is a relative term, as is “art.” Different strokes for different folks.

This is more of a "how I did it" forum and not so much a "give me constructive feedback/suggestions for improvement" venue. The "Critiques" forum is where one can get that type of feedback.

What you've done here fits right in and your descriptions would be helpful to someone just starting out, which is what we look for.

Hope this clarifies things a bit. By all means feel welcome to continue to share your creations and methods.

BTW: You can post up to 5 images per post. After you click the "upload button" (and the upload completes), you can browse to another pic and upload it, too.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2004, 12:34 AM

Thank you Danny! I've always been a bit of a minimalist and was feeling a little intimidated by the huge range of filters that seem to be available out there. Anyhow, I see now a lot of not so filtered efforts that makes me realize the huge range of talent and possibilities of this forum. Anywhooo, here is a cooler effort using a combination of Xero Emphasis and Impressionist filters with Soft Light snow added and a contrast intensifying curves adjustment.

Cheers
Duv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-rocky-morning-FirstSnow.jpg (84.5 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2004, 08:21 AM

Beautiful, Duv! I think this is my favorite one.

-Jeff
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art