RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Rocky Morning

Old 08-26-2004, 10:27 AM

i knew exactly what i want, but didn't turn out so...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JC-rocky-morning_.jpg (92.1 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 PM

I sure would rather be there then here but here I am:
1. BuzzPro - Simple 1 set at 349
2. New layer linera light 12% opacity
3. Added and extra cross web at the top to the chair (want to be comfortable ;>)
4. Flatten and burned at Midtone 69% especially along the walk way edges and some grass and tree parts.
5. Added a texture to the image - canvas 70 - 3 - Top Right
6. Used Bud's double matt frame and placed a texture on the frame only using texture grain clumped.
Thanks
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rocking-Chair-web.jpg (97.0 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2004, 06:54 PM

So many wonderful entries, that I thought I'd give it a try.

1. I finally broke down and purchased Buzz so I had to give it a go. Used Buzz Simplifier One.
2. The rest was Nik Filters to enhance the colors (sunshine & gold reflector). I wanted to create that morning sunshine glow.
3. Then I cropped the photo to add emphasis to the rocker.
4. Final step was to add a bit of canvas texture with Photoshop texturizer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morning4.jpg (94.5 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by T Paul; 08-26-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2004, 05:38 PM

Kiska -- very nice!!

bk
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 12:50 AM

This is an awesome photo except composition maybe isn't the best, so I started by cropping out the L side of the image. Then I did another variant of my oil mimic getting back some detail with a HighPass layer in luminosity mode, 50% opacity as a new trick. Ended with Enhanced:AutoColorCorrection in Elements2 on the merged final layer which not only improved colors a bit, but restored contrast too.

For the big twist, I used this as a clone source in Painter8. Cloner>WetOils10 variant. I used the default size 10 brush for a 1st pass with TracingPaper on and then size 5 for a 2nd pass with TracingPaper off. I refered back to the clone source often while painting details on the cabins. Finished by added canvas texture in Elements2. I'm really happy with this result and feel maybe I am learning how to control Painter some.

If Neve sees this: I'm not sure if being "chuffed" is a good or bad thing, but I'm happy joining you as a Painter newbie with lots to learn and couragous enough to post my newbie (who can't paint or draw in real life) efforts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RockchairPA.jpg (95.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg RockchairP8_WetOilCloner.jpg (98.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by SWEngineer; 01-16-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEngineer
...I'm happy joining [Neve] as a Painter newbie with lots to learn and couragous enough to post my newbie (who can't paint or draw in real life) efforts.
Well done, Mark! You and Neve can lead the class in a new dimension.

In my brief dealings with Painter I've found it difficult to be "patient" sometimes. Individual brush strokes take TIME to apply. I guess I gotta stop and smell the roses, enjoy the ride and not be in such a rush.

Janet P's right behind you. She just installed Painter 8. It will be fun to watch all of you grow and I'm anxious to learn from your various experiences!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 01:27 PM

Lakeside Cabin

well, when i first saw this pic the first thing i noticed was the good framing of the path, and even though the rocking chair if the focal point, sorry, it had to go.

Removed the chair
Took a selection a good plank and pasted and resized it back into the shot to replace where planks were affected by the removal of the chair.
Repeated the process of cloning and healing for the cabin and painted in what i believed the cabin entrance would look like.
Adjusted the colour and curves of the 'new' path the blend in with the rest
Flattened image and made a selection of the top half of the image, copied and flipped vertically, then placed into position for the water, erased the rest so that a bare reflection was in place then added a slight ripple and adjusted the opacity so you can see a very small amount of ground through the water for a depth effect.
Created some bushes and copied, flipped vertically, adjusted opacity and added a slight ripples to blend with existing water
Added a cool filter and adjusted curves for an atmospheric feel.

Enjoy !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cabin.jpg (99.6 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 02:06 PM

I thought I'd jump in and try my hand at some of these mini challenges. Here's my first one, I did three variations 'cos I liked it so much

1. Cropped image to suit my taste better. Added two rendered cloud layers, and used Buzz Pro Simplifier 3. Added smart blur, edge only, inverted layer and set blend mode multiply with reduced opacity.

2. As above but applied Virtual Photographer moonlight filter before smart blur layer.

3. As above but applied Impressionist bright chalk on black filter, (25%, 76%, 147) before smart blur layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rocky-morning-v1.jpg (98.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg rocky-morning-v2.jpg (98.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg rocky-morning-v3.jpg (95.3 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 03:42 PM

Axle:

Another amazing transformation. The water/reflection effects are especially impressive.

- - - - - -

Pam:

I'm glad you're getting into the spirit so quickly and leaping right into the pool. Isn't Impressionist fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2005, 07:52 AM

Some fabulous results with a great pic...!

99% done in Painter using Fine Round Gouache 10. A little dash of Impasto on trees and grass, a little grainy water on the background. Darkened some areas in PSP. Added a faded border and frame. Did have texture, but changed my mind for posting here, it's a hit and miss affair with textures when then having to compress the images. I love this picture...thank you for posting the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chair.jpg (93.5 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art