RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Portrait - Paula

Old 02-21-2004, 12:26 PM

This is a quasi watercolor effect. Set Dust and Scratches to 8 then created a layer mask and with the mask selected painted back the pupils with a black brush set to 65%.

Cheers
Duv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-portrait-paula1.jpg (81.4 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2004, 11:14 PM

Mig:

RE: "Who's Picasso anyway?"
You crack me up. Nice pic you crafted, too.

- - - - - -

Duv;

Nice WC effect. Using layer masks to restore detail is one of the greatest things I ever discovered.

- - - - - -

Photofix:

Welcome aboard. Glad to see that (a) you jumped in the pool and (b) you got the attachment puzzle figured out x3. Well done.

Of the three I think I like #3 the best, with the middle one with the impasto strokes a close second. Good to see you're experimenting and trying various effects. That's how you learn what works and what doesn't.

Hope to see more of your creations in the future. You can try any of these creative interpretations anytime.

- - - - - -
Jilly:

Your grayscale version inspired me so I had to try another Impressionest effect.

This time the base layer was created applying a modification of the "Crayon Sketch" effect to a copy of the Background. Image > Adjustments > Desaturate sapped the colors.

Stylize > Diffuse > Anisotropic and Unsharp Mask applied to this layer to give the lines a little more character. Image > Adjustment > Levels applied to generate some contrast.

Duplicated the background, moved to top of layer stack and applied Find Edges. Image > Adjustments > Desaturate. Changed mode to Multiply.

Added a Levels adjustment layer (grouped with previous, so it only affected the Find Edges layer). Messed with sliders to get the effect I wanted.

Duplicated BG again and dragged copy to the top of layer stack. Added a "hide all" layer mask and set blend mode to Luminosity. Airbrushed white on layer mask to bring back some eye detail that got obliterated by the Impressionist effect.

Created a new layer at the top and Alt + Layer > Merge Visible to consolidate all layers. Did a little clone work to fix up blobs here and there and to remove the background shrubs.

With all due respect to Mig, this doesn't make her look beautiful by any stretch of the imagination, but to me it makes her looked a lot more sketched than I would have been able to do with a 2H pencil.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CI-portrait-paula3-djr.jpg (43.3 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2004, 02:38 AM

With all due respect to you Danny, you've cheapened my response to your image. Whether you realize it or not, you created something that gave me a strong emotional response. I don't care about anybody else. By coming out and saying this doesn't make her look beautiful by any stretch of the imagination, you have voided any reason to create what you did in the first place plus made me feel like an ass to respond to it the way I did. What is artistic expression other than sincere feelings between one and another. I hope you don't do this again. I love what you did!

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2004, 06:32 PM

Duv:

RE: With all due respect to you Danny, you've cheapened my response to your image.
That was certainly not my intent. My sincerest apologies you took it this way.

RE: Whether you realize it or not, you created something that gave
me a strong emotional response. I don't care about anybody else.
I didn’t realize that it moved you to that extent. My wife’s typical reaction: She rolls her eyes and shakes her head in wonder, as in, “Why mess up such a nice picture?” I’m not used to positive reactions and didn’t mean my flip comment to come across as dismissing yours.

RE: Your coming out and saying this doesn't make her look beautiful by any stretch of the imagination, you have voided any reason to create what you did in the first place.
Communicating meaning through words alone can be a challenge. Let’s try it again. “Although in my view this particular photo-art interpretation does not make her look more beautiful than the photograph, it’s an interpretation of the photograph that, considering my absence of traditional artistic skills, I’m proud of.”

RE: …plus made me feel like an ass to respond to it the way I did.
Again, I’m sorry you felt this way. I would never intentionally say something that put down someone’s opinion — especially when it’s favorable.

RE: What is artistic expression other than sincere feelings between
one and another?
This is one of those philosophic questions that I cannot possibly answer.

RE: I hope you don't do this again. I love what you did!
You can be assured I’ll use better judgment in the future. Thanks for your very kind words of support.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2004, 07:50 PM

That a boy Danny! Perhaps your comments were skewed a tad by Mig's original post. Your kind response is very much appreciated. The feelings which one infects others whether it be strong or weak is art. At least by my definition. That's why I don't think we should trivialize what we do. It's very unbecoming. Again, thank you. I do so enjoy this forum and the efforts by so many.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2004, 03:26 PM

Exactly the same procedure as my first post, with a mood color/contrast adjustment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paula-b_LQQKER.jpg (97.9 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2004, 05:41 PM

paula

More playing with xero lineart and PSP8's impressionist filter.

AmyHutton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paula.jpg (89.8 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2005, 02:52 AM

What an absolute beauty!

I had to try keeping that gorgeous face as is, and still make an arty picture. How does a big sloppy wet brush over sharply defined edges sound?

(and to what's his name back there (forgot his name and can't be bothered to go back and look - LOL!!!): this was Impressionist. Three filters, five layers (background, 'Old Masters', 'Waterbrush', 'Colour Pencils" (15%), and original in colour mode (to restore colours))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paula Waterwash.jpg (64.7 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2005, 05:21 AM

Well done, Fluffbutt.
Here's what i did.
Original layer, duplicate original and use gradient-map - pastels-green, purple, blue. Saturation blend. Copy-merged, paste. This is image 1.
Duplicate file. This is image 2. Use image adj levels - brighten and lighten image. Edit - define pattern. Use pattern brush, hard-round, and pattern. Aligned.
On image 1, darken mode for lips, color burn for hair, overlay and vivid for eyes, multiply for pupils and jewelry and lighten for rest of girl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paula-web.jpg (92.3 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2005, 11:50 AM

I think the instructions were to "be creative".

I had fun with this one. No painting involved unless you count painting masks. This was all done with blending modes.

Janet

Edit: Second picture. The face is from somewhere else but turned out the way this one should have. In any case, you'll "get the picture".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paula-Challenge.jpg (95.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg art-019-copy.jpg (96.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Janet Petty; 01-29-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art