RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Portrait - Paula

Old 01-31-2005, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
I tried to paint in between the lines like Jaykita, but I am NOT going to post my results .

Here's what I used as a guide. Jaykita, there are things that PShop and PSP, etc. can do for us, and there are things that require the skill of the artistic -- I appreciate your stylistic images even more now.
Thank you so much, C.J., from the bottom of my heart! I realize that i enjoy doing those images, very very much.
Danny asked me to put up a tutorial (in another thread called jennifer) but i was terrified at the prospect. Honestly, i would love to, Danny, but i do think i need some time. And when i do, C.J., you'll see that its not so difficult. And dont be afraid to let yourself go!

Just Checking, I thank you, as well, for the appreciation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykita
Danny asked me to put up a tutorial (in another thread called jennifer) but i was terrified at the prospect. Honestly, i would love to, Danny, but i do think i need some time.
jaykita, I have always admired your posts and the "poster" one really stands out.
Writing a tutorial only hurts the first time (I took about two weeks writing and re-writing).
Suggestion: Send a "mock-up" in Word to a friend and ask for opinions / comments.
I am, of course, volunteering here.

Last edited by byRo; 01-31-2005 at 10:46 AM. Reason: carn't rite rite
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2005, 01:24 PM

Spouses, tutorials and overcoming terror (oh my)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykita
Danny asked me to put up a tutorial (in another thread called jennifer) but i was terrified at the prospect. Honestly, i would love to, Danny, but i do think i need some time.
Let me add to the well-deserved kudos, jaykita, on this interpretation. It's truly wonderful.

re: "Sometimes" and "some men"
I sincerely appreciated the use of the qualifiers on your assessment of some men's behavior. Well done.

re: Spousal support
I can sure relate to the (near) addiction to this hobby. Given the choice between this and most other tasks, chores, responsibilities -- it's almost no contest. 98% of the time I'd prefer to tinker with Photoshop, Painter, Impressionist, Buzz, Virtual Painter, write actions and be inspired by the incredible artwork all of you create.

Being of the male gender, I can relate, too, to the need for some TLC from my spouse. If Lisa spent as much time on "a hobby" as I do on this, I would feel a little neglected if she didn't come up for air once in awhile. I make sure she (and my kids) get lots of hugs and attention from me each weekday and we do family acitivies on the weekend. I've got reminders set for important dates, e.g. birthday, Valentine's day and send her flowers "for no reason" (except as a reminder of how important she is to me). I remind her once in awhile, too, that photo-art is a pretty inexpensive hobby compared to other diversions that are popular with many men, e.g., frequently going to professional sports events, cars, golf, boats, ski trips, hunting, woodworking, etc. -- and it definitely keeps me home vs. going out all the time "with the guys." (On second thought, maybe she'd prefer my hobby took me away from the house, ya think? )

I think the bottom line is: Do what it takes to make sure those most important to you genuinely understand they are more important than your hobby (and mean it, I don't mean fake it). It doesn't hurt to talk about it now and then, just to reinforce priorities. I tell her how much I honestly appreciate her understanding of the time I spend "futzing around on the computer."

But when you're online, play your brains out!

re: Tutorial terror
I think Ro's suggestion is a great one. Draft something and send it to 2-3 people you trust. The feedback will help you make it even better and build your confidence. We want you to succeed.

To get over writer's block think "function over form," that is, don't get hung up on grammar, spelling, formatting, etc. Give it your best shot and let your RP friends help you out.

Most books have editors, who help authors in this regard. That's what we can do. We want you to succeed in a selfish way: Your success = we can learn from you. It's all good.

When the time's right, you will find open arms from many who will be more than willing to help. When you're ready, we will be, too.

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 02-06-2005 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Fix typo: "It's all goo" replaced with "It's all good." :)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2005, 07:49 PM

I have viewed your poster presentation here so many times Jaykita because I know I am looking at something which uniquely portrays creative flair, a happy flamboyant use of colours and natural talent. I'd hesitated from saying so simply because I didn't trust myself to adequately find the right words to praise your effort. My hubby of 41 years will tell you that for me to be struck dumb is a rare event! Well done lass, it's a pleasure for me to participate in the same group.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2005, 09:45 PM

Rô, Danny, Neve....what can i say...words fail me! Thank you for the help offered, the advice, encouragement, appreciation. Thank you for making me feel I have something special to give to you. This site has indeed given me so much, it's pay back time, and why not. Isnt that what life's all about anyway? And while i'm at it...top of my list of priorities is someone who's been waiting patiently, so guys dont mind if you dont hear from me for sometime...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 03:50 PM

Here's my result with the beautiful Paula. Sorry, I was having too much fun playing with channel mixers, blending modes and masks to note down what I did, but it was all done with PS own filters apart from one layer adjusted with Virtual Photographer Hollywood mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CI-portrait-paula.jpg (94.3 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamSav
Sorry, I was having too much fun playing...to note what I did...
It's OK... Everyone gets a freebee once in awhile, Pam. You've earned this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2005, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catia
Nice photo Danny and a couple of interesting versions.

I opted for a soft approach. Cloned out the green and brown background, then duped the BG. Ran Smart blur normal at radius of 4. Smudged the hair a bit. Added a mask and painted the eyes and mouth back in. Added a custom texture faded to 50%.

Catia
Catia

I do like your work especially the techniques you applied to this image - absolutely stunning!

I'm a new boy here, what programme do you use?

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2005, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1053
Catia

I do like your work especially the techniques you applied to this image - absolutely stunning!

I'm a new boy here, what programme do you use?

Steve
Hello, Steve...

Welcome and thanks for jumping in with a question.

Catia hasn't been around for a while. In case she doesn't reply, she used Photoshop based on the description.

Keep those questions coming. That's how you learn!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2007, 02:15 PM

Re: Creative interpretations: Portrait - Paula

I THINK I'M IN LOVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig
I'm glad I don't have that filter because it produces ugly results.
All these contributions, except perhaps one of Catia's, are horrendous. I should say I'm sorry to have to say this, as if, "I'm sorry to have tell you guys this, but..." I can't - they're awful and that's the truth.
Really, why bother explaining how you did these? Who would want to know? You could run this picture through any filter at randon and in a less than a second get a better result.
Even if you want to get 'creative' about it, the idea is to make her look good.
I feel sorry for this girl. She's supposed to be beautiful.

Mig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art