RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Asparagus in the Wind

Old 03-07-2004, 10:23 AM

Creative interpretations: Asparagus in the Wind

My son (almost six years old) wouldn't like this one. A fan of asparagus he's not, but I thought it looked interesting.

Photo courtesy of www.Stockstash.com.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS-Asparagus-X.jpg (45.4 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2004, 12:59 PM

Blanch your Asparagus then fry them in Walnut Oil and Balsamic Vinegar. Sprinkle crushed Walnuts on top. Your kid probably still wouldn't like it.

I've been having a lot of fun playing with the User Define filter in Paint Shop. There are a number of Predefined but you can also create your own. It takes some getting used to but it can be quite create. I did this first then ran it thru VP Impasto set to Rough Canvas.

Cheers
Duv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Asparagus-X.jpg (88.0 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2004, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Blanch your Asparagus then fry them in Walnut Oil and Balsamic Vinegar. Sprinkle crushed Walnuts on top. Your kid probably still wouldn't like it.

I've been having a lot of fun playing with the User Define filter in Paint Shop. There are a number of Predefined but you can also create your own. It takes some getting used to but it can be quite create. I did this first then ran it thru VP Impasto set to Rough Canvas.

Cheers
Duv
Funny you should mention the PSP User Define Filter. I've been reading about Photoshop's equivalent, Custom Filter, of late and might do a tutorial on the subject IF I can figure it out.

RE: Asparagus recipe
Sounds delicious -- for me, anyway.

On mine I used a Mike Finn action (Watercolor; it's in one of his earlier collections), which I thought did a nice job on the "look" but totally blew the colors into rainbow land. To restore the colors, made a copy of the original BG, copied it to the top of the layer stack and changed blend mode from Normal to Color. The best of both worlds: Reasonable color + arty effect.

Copied original BG again, dragged to top of layer stack and applied Find Edges to it. Experimented with blend modes; settled on Hard Light. Used Layer Mask to selectively apply line detail.

Created a new layer and, while holding down Alt key, selected Merge Visible from the Layer menu, which merges the visible layers without collapsing them.

Duplicated this layer, applied Dry Brush and Noise > Dust and Scratches to soften the textures. Select all, Edit > Transform and dragged each edges out a bit to distort the layer. Set the blend mode to Lighten, added a Hide All layer mask and, with foreground color set to white, airbrushed here and there, attemping to better simulate watercolor paint strokes.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Asparagus-djr-via-Finn-WC.jpg (53.3 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2004, 06:46 PM

Asparagus Disguised

I ahev 17 living children, all handicapped...and the only way some of them will eat asparagus is if you disguise it. Like soak it in Ketchup or cheese.

Well, PSP8 doesn't have kethup or cheese, so I hit two copies of it with Flaming Pear Swerve, then applied Paint Engine Arctic and merged the two images. Can hardly tell it's asparagus! But whatever it is I still don't wanna eat it.

AmyHutton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asparagusdisguised.jpg (89.1 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2004, 07:16 PM

You made me wet my pants Amy! Don't do it again..Please! Your rendition looks like some ugly bug head on...Probably tastes better than Asparagus.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art