Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Portrait - Jennifer Garner

Old 01-19-2005, 03:26 PM
I second that Axle re doing post work which I always do in PSP8.1. I never work on an image at any time (whether it's to be done eventually in Painter or any other program) without seeing how I can improve on it, balance it etc. In particular bringing details out of the shadows...on hair by example I'll use the lighten tool in those cases to reveal more details. There are few images that don't need anything done at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2005, 10:19 PM
back on track?

With a lot of good advice & encouragement, Axle's tutorial and some practice, I've come up with a Painter portait I'm not ashamed to post. Here are a few thoughts to share regarding what I think helped me:

1) The "Brush Tracking" pref scratch pad doesn't work for me. I ended up setting it manually to much lower 'Pressure' settings than the automatic mode was generating (scale 0.43, pwr 2 vs. scale ~0.7, pwr >3.5). This gave me much more control over the brush and enabled much better coverage on my 1st pass brush strokes.

2) Painter takes much more up-front planning than what I had gotten used to making art with filters and plugins. In my rush, I was always cloning to the Canvas layer. Now I'll make sure to use a separate layer a least one level above the canvas. Jaykita, Axel, and Neve pointed the way here. Thanks all of you.

3) With care, you can do some decent alterations in Painter itself. (Maybe just minor ones if you're just rookie like me.) Here it's worth noting the importance of the "pickup underlying color" check box in the layers palette. With out it, I think you'll struggle to get decent blending between hand painted and cloned layers / techniques. I know this discovery helped solve many of my problems.

For this work, I started in Elements2 first creating a new background for the model. (Basically ripping-off what I'm sure Axel must have done on his image, complete with the drop shadow.) Then I did a bit of 'glamour' retouching with NeatImage to smooth out the skin tones and other noise [probably completely pointless given I was headed for Painter] and Filter>Distort>Liquify to pull up the corner of the model's mouth a bit. I finished in Elements by cloning out some of her lower lip which I though was a bit too thick (vertically). On to Painter. I used the FineSprayCloner35 on the background. (It did ugly things to the model, but the background turned out ok and this way it doesn't look so much like a blatent copy of Axel's work.) I used the WetOilsCloner10 everywhere else, and am starting to get a sense of how to vary brush size appropriately. To further make this image my own, I got a little creative with the models blouse. I did this on a new Painter layer above the one I was cloning on using the WetOils cloner brush, but in "real painting" mode, sampling colors manually from the cloned image. Back to Elements2 for a nice vignette.

Edited image in response to comments from Jaykita & Axle below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JGarner_P8clone_wetoils.jpg (94.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by SWEngineer; 01-20-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by SWEngineer
With a lot of good advice & encouragement, Axle's tutorial and some practice, I've come up with a Painter portait I'm not ashamed to post. -Mark
Bravo! Very good progress indeed! However, u've missed her belly button (if thats what it is) by a good 4-6", i'd say
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 01:42 AM
Congrats !!!!

Mark - Congrats on your creation, not that hard really is it ?

A few points to make:

Whilst i like the idea of Vignetting, in this case, it doesnt really help, but rather hinder the beauty of the image. When you create something as nice as this, you dont really want close it down, you want to open it up so we can see it in all is glory, by applying the vignette you have constricted her.

The colour you have used for the background i think would be better if it were a little softer, its comes acrosss as a little too stronge for the subject, perhaps a nice light mint green. (my example is also a little too dark)

I like what you have done with her jacket, and works very well with the pose, but spoilt slightly a small misplacement of her navel, it seems out of place to me, what you think ?

You nailed it !!!! You seriously have done a good job, you should be applauded. The more you practise it on other images, the more natural it will become and you will be able to see it in your work.

Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Bravo, Mark. This is excellent progress.
...and bravo, too, for Axel's tutorial.

Check out the "grainy" brushes in the Blender group, next.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Eek! indeed

Ya know, I've been married for about 15 years and have had my own navel for far longer then that... you'd think I'd know where it goes. Some people shouldn't be allowed to own paint brushes, virtual or otherwise.

Went back to painter to fix this (well get it closer I hope). Also tweaked the background and vignette as I agreed with Axle's evaluation.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art