RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Loneliness

Old 09-07-2004, 01:07 AM

Loneliness is a terrible thing. Nobody should have to face it.
It isnt so lonely anymore...at least in this image. Color change made with photopaint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lonely-beach1.jpg (99.5 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2004, 01:31 AM

Too much playing and cloning to really explain it - but if anyone asks a specific question, I will do my best.

I went for solitude with company ... A fun alone

Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skyboy.jpg (65.7 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2004, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_ele
Too much playing and cloning to really explain it - but if anyone asks a specific question, I will do my best.

I went for solitude with company ... A fun alone

Roger
Roger:

This is a wonderful interpretaation. You should play and clone much more often, so please do!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2004, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffbutt
Mine is the reversed picture, cropped.
You did a great job there. It started out as a lovely photo, but came across much more interesting.

Cropped and reversed (Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - did I say that right, been here so long sometimes I forget whether I'm speaking English or Portuguese).
Did my little pencil sketch action, dialled up some wierd blending options, put back in a bit of color from the original.
The pencil strokes ended up looking like rain. I left it that way...

So now he's lonely and sopping wet! Poor guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lonely-Beach-byRo.jpg (99.1 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2004, 02:01 PM

[ozzy mode]don't ask me, i don't know... [/ozzy mode]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JC-Lonely Beach_.jpg (82.4 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 01:07 AM

Another great thread to revive. Anybody know what happened to Fluff? He did some great work here, but I haven't seen his name on anything recent.

Started w/ Curves and Hue adj. layers to create the base image. Did the ColorDodge sketch thing except ran AddNoise and ColorPencil filters on the (inverted) top layer instead of GBlur. Added a masked Levels adj to darken the sketch in the sky area. Merged the result to a new layer and ran Diffuse>Aniso putting a Curves adj layer above this to darken and the base image above that in Color mode to colorize it. Cloned the base image in Painter8 with the ChalkCloner brush (a very rough sketch). Put this as the next layer in Multiply mode, 47%. Merged all this to a new layer and dodged the person. Then copied a selection of the sea and sand to a yet another layer, lowered opacity to ~50% and nudged this above person to make him (her?) ghostly / shadowy. The idea here is one of a fading memory or feeling lost / insignificant in this huge world of ours.

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lonely.jpg (96.3 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 02:42 AM

I loved Roger_ele's. Something i'd imagine the "afterlife" would look like!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 04:10 AM

There's so much creativity here, I can only hope that one day I'll be half as good as some of you. I really like the posts by roger_ele and SWEngineer. I'm not very good at expressing myself but I really love the totally different interpretations you guys did.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2005, 08:30 AM

I had to.

I would like to make it clear that I took the text from the Despair, Inc. website.
There is an actual print (with a different photo) titled Loneliness with the Text that's in my picture. So all legal rights of the phrasing is theirs, etc., etc....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lonely.jpg (98.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by glikster; 01-21-2005 at 10:18 AM. Reason: I was a momentary moron
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEngineer
Another great thread to revive. Anybody know what happened to Fluff? He did some great work here, but I haven't seen his name on anything recent.
<snip>
-Mark
Oh I'm still around.. Cats sleep a lot, and pad about very quietly, so's you don't even knows they're there! LOL PURRRR!

Actually I've been playing with pictures, taking some, working (ran out of money, too many wedding photographers in town, so now I drive a truck (!!). plenty of opportunities to take pix with my digital).

I've pretty much perfected a colour pencil system, but I can't post it (not being nasty!) because it changes with each picture.

The basic steps are multiple layers, all set to about 66% and overlay/softlight/screen/hardlight (that last one at 15%) (AND the order varies too!).
Then you run Impressionist with a chalky action, Imp. with a pencil action, drag the background up to a new layer set to colour, and finish of with a light PE layer. The fourth layer is for burn in adjustments or to paint back some detail at a 33% level. And this all changes depending on if its people, flowers, cars (old tractors, etc) or landscapes.

So I'd love to post you guys (and gals) something more definite, but I can't!!

<sad little purrrowww!!>

<Fluffbutt pads over to the computer and crops a piccy for ya's>

Here's a cropped section of a Holden rusting in a field (I think I got the original from Morguefiles, again)...

If you look at the side windows, you'll see the basic pencil effect with the chalked window 'behind', to add colour and depth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holden Drawn.jpg (83.6 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art