RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Problems installing Impressionist

Old 07-19-2004, 01:27 PM

Location: Boyds, MD - about 30 miles outside of Washington, DC
Unhappy Problems installing Impressionist

I have just purchased FrontPage 98 so that I could get the full version of Impressionist, and I have installed Image Composer, where Impressionist is found. I copy/pasted the "Impressionist Accessories" folder to the plugins folder in PS7 (actually, there are two plugins folders in PS7, one inside the other.....I tried putting it in one, and then when that didn't work, I put it into the other) but it does not appear in the drop down list of filters. I had previously had the demo version, with only the chalk brush, but I deleted that. I have it in both plugin folders. Maybe that's my problem.......HELP!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2004, 03:27 PM

Hi Kathy:

Welcome to RetouchPRO.

Hard to tell were the problems are, so let me suggest the following:
* Uninstall/delete Image Composer and all files/folders related to Impressionist
* Create a new folder outside the Photoshop path (in \MyDocuments, perhaps) named something like \3rd Party Plugins
* In this folder create a folder named something like \Impressionist
* From the Front Page CD, locate the Image Composer folder, and inside it, the Plugins folder where the Impressionist plugin and support files live.
* Drag and drop the Impressionist plug-in file and the associated folders into \3rd Party Pugins\Impressionist
* Go to this link:
http://www.pbase.com/image/27836206/original

You will need to rename these folders: \Stuff and \Factory exactly as shown in the illustration. When you do all of the built-in 17 categories and 160 styles will be available to you. If renamed incorrectly the only option available is Charcoal/Default.

* In Photoshop, Edit > Preferences > Plug-ins & Scratch disks
* Click the check box and browse to

\3rd Party Pugins\Impressionist

to identify it as an auxillery plugin folder.
* Close/Restart PS and you should be in business.

Why do it this way?
* When you upgrade to Photoshop (whatever), you won't have to reinstall this or other 3rd party plugins installed in this folder; just update the Preferences setting in the new version.
* If you have other programs like Corel Painter or Paint Shop Pro, it's easy to share your common plugins w/o having to actually install them multiple places. How sharing is done depends on the program. Photo-Paint, for example, has a preferences setup similar to Photoshop. For other programs, you have have to create shortcuts and place them in the program's plugin folder.

Hope this gets you moving.

~Danny~

Btw: If you haven't yet, check out the Photo-art forum click HERE. It's a good place to get answers on Impressionist-related questions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2004, 03:34 PM

Thanks!

Thanks, Danny for your quick and detailed answer! I will try it. I wasn't sure where to post my question, but it makes sense to put it in the Photo-art forum.
Kathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2004, 03:45 PM

No problem. Glad to help, Kathy. Posting your question here was perfectly OK.

One more thing:
* Inside \Impressionst Acessories, be sure to create a folder named

\User Settings as shown in the illustration.

This is where .set files (containing custom styles created by others) need to go.

Once you get Impressionist going, hope to see you nextdoor!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 08:49 AM

Still having problems

Danny, I followed your very complete directions, uninstalling all parts of Impressionist (the demo) first, re-naming files and folders as pictured ion the pbase page you referenced, and placing them in a '3rd Party plugins" folder, and still could not access anything other than the charcoal default. I worked on it for several hours last night, installing, uninstalling, re-naming, re-booting, starting over, etc., and at one point there were TWO "Impressionsts" listed in the drop down filters list, both of them offering the charcoal only. I then gave up and uninstalled it all again. There is still one Impressionist listed, even though I did a search for "Impres" in case there was an original of the Impres_1.8bf file somewhere. Still there, still not working correctly. If I hadn't seen so many beautiful works done using Impressionist, I would have long ago given up. I hesitate to ask once again, since I can't imagine how you could be more helpful than you already were yesterday, but if there is anything further that you can think of for me to try, I'd appreciate it greatly!
Kathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 10:47 AM

Kathy:

No problem. I'll be glad to help as long as it takes. This is an interesting one and it will be interesting to solve.

We've got a couple problems to tackle. Let's do 'em one at a time.
* In Photoshop prefs, "undo" (uncheck) the aux. plugin folder. This will "cutoff" contact to mystery Impressionist #2
* Open any image
* Filter > Impressionist > Charcoal > Default (to invoke/apply the effect)

From the Windows Start button... (See attachment)
* Start > Search > Files Folders

Search for files named: *.8bf

Look in: It will take awhile, but just to be safe, just specify local hard drives (if you have > 1) or C:\ if you only have one

Search options: Files by date
* Date last accessed
* In the last day

OK

In theory it will display the .8bf files accessed the past 24 hours. Hopefully the hidden Impressionist .8bf will show up among them. (I just tried this on my PC and it works.)

Do you get anything that looks like the culprit? If you do, flush it and any other related folders.

Also: Did you say you installed Image Composer and/or FrontPage 98? If you haven't yet, I'd uninstall them, too.

Hang in there... Impressionist is definitely worth the effort.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kathy-W2K-search.jpg (47.9 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 02:36 PM

I got rid of the phantom Impressionist!

Danny, I SO MUCH appreciate your willingness to stick with my problem! I went looking again this morning, just after my last post, and I found - and deleted - the "second" Impressionist. Then I tried all over again (new day, and all that, right? ;P) to install it. What I see in Cheryl's PBase image of the folder settings, is a file called MSCREATE.DIR listed as a DIR file and with 0 KB in it. I don't have a file like that. I'm not sure what file it might be. It occurred to me that the Impressionist.8bf file is the application and the Impressionist Accessories folder holds the tools that need to be somehow associated with it in order to get the full use of the filter. I tried opening Accessories to the subfolders "Brushes", "Factory" and "Paper" and THEN dragging and dropping the .8bf into the folder next to them. Then I tried backing up one; closing them and just putting the .8bf next to the Impressionist Accessories folder in the Impressionist folder. Neither choice worked. I've actually done all these things multiple times, "just in case" I didn't do it quite right the first time. I'm not sure what to do next.
Thanks!
Kathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 03:46 PM

Kathy:

Good hunting. Glad you found the second one. That's a step in the right direction.
* FYI: MSCreate is not required. I have no idea what it does, but I don't have it now and have never had it, hence my claim, so that's not the holdup.
* Moving the .8bf to different folders: I haven't tested that, but considering your thoroughness of trying it in all folders and the results you reported, you get A for effort, but...

OK... snapshot of where you are:
* Only one Impressionist choice in the Filter menu (Yahoo!)
* Still only category/style available = Charcoal > Default. This means PS is finding the .8bf, but somethings's still whako with the underlying plumbing

Possible causes:
* File Default.set is not in \Factory Settings
* \Factory Settings isn't named \Factory Settings
* \Stuff did not get renamed to \Impressionist Accessories

What to do next:
* Send me a "real" e-mail via my profile. I'll reply with an install .doc that should help clear this up once and for all.
* In the email confirm:
a) Are you still using the Preferences option, pointing to the aux \3rd party plugins folder?
b) Is that where the "remaining" .8bf and support files are?

I admire your determination. We're close. Really close, so don't give up now. I predict we'll have this hammered out by end of day!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 04:07 PM

Talking I Got It!!!

Danny, THANK YOU! I got it! Your analysis was right on......despite your saying that the files and folders must be named EXACTLY as shown, Factory Setting wasn't named Factorey Settings!! I had left it as Factory.....and therefore, the default couldn't be found! Logic.....it's wonderful......Thank you! Now I will have some fun with this!
Kathy (now very happy!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 04:26 PM

Kathy:

As my wife would say, "You GO GIRL!"

I say, "GREAT (not just good) for you." We make a pretty good coast-to-coast problem solving team. Funny how little things like spelling do count with computers! (LOL)

Now that you're in business Impressionst-wise, I look forward to seeing some of your creations over in the photo-art forum.

Don't forget to breathe when your breath is taken away by a cool Impressionist style!

Take care...
~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art