RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Fishing Village

Old 09-18-2004, 11:23 PM

Postcard

Greetings from Staithes

Weather is here , wish you were beautiful .........

Everybody has done such lovely work on ths photo.
Seemed I had to do something completely different!
Just thought is was going to be easier .
After I cut up and pasted the images and the frame, had to go back and give each bit a different color cast so they looked like they were different pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fishing-Village-Staithes-Po.jpg (98.6 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2004, 03:38 AM

First a watercolor effect with median, sketch, enhanced saturation etc. Thereafter final effect was achieved by modifying an impressionist paint filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishing-village.jpg (99.6 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2004, 12:39 PM

This was a fun thread to read through--there was a lot of variety and all of it was great. I didn't think I'd be able to pick a favorite until I got to Neve's--something about it really appealed to me. Ro--that was really creative. It was a great effect for this image.

I started with my impressionist short strokes action (ch twiggy on the lower layer and ch scratchy strokes at 65 and darken on the upper layer).
Then duplicate the original and put on top. On this layer I ran a modified buzz gloss stack (reduced all to 6-8 except remove at around 100). Then ran impressionist (ch vague sketchy with reduced brush size). Set that layer to linear burn at 65.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishing-villiageshort-strok.jpg (53.1 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2004, 05:18 PM

Byro - I like your rendition heaps! Jaykita - great result, bold and colourful, plenty red, white and blue which seems appropriate CherH - terrific result - I was intrigued by "Buzz GLOSS Stack" and wondering what that is...I have Buzz Simplifier?!

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2004, 07:17 PM

Thanks Neve. The gloss layer stack is in buzz pro. You click the button that says load stack and choose "gloss layer." Inside buzz it's (with my mods) gaussiam blur at 6, simplfier one with remove at 100, edges mono, spread black at 6, and gaussain blur again at 6. I usually add brightness and contrast at 40 each inside buzz, then do a brightness and contrast adjustment in PS at around 20 each.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2004, 01:07 AM

CherylH - Many thanks for all the information. Maybe I should treat myself to BuzzPro?! Off to check it out................

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 05:25 PM

Another amazing thread from the not to distant past. Really stellar work here folks! I'll give a special to AHutton for creativity above & beyond with the sunburst effect. Just spectacular.

I used this as an excuse to play with Painter some more. WetOils10 cloner, 1st cropping the image. It's hard to write a "how I did it" for Painter, so I'll try this description + thumbnails:

1st pass: Tracingpaper ON. Using the default brush, made strokes over the main image elements. Longer strokes for large areas, very small ones for things like windows, trying not to overlap strokes. I used a much larger brush (~30) for the sky.

2nd pass: Tracingpaper OFF. Again using the default brush, added more strokes to fill in the gaps from the 1st pass. Used some extra strokes on the hill to get some sense of 3D.

Final pass: Changed brush size to 3. Made small strokes to add detail, delineate objects / regions, fill in final gaps, etc. Added some more strokes to further build 3D effect in the mountains and add some texture to greenery in spots. Switched Tracingpaper on & off a lot to find where detail was lacking or where I'd smeared some detail out accidently. Opened in Elements2 where I increased contrast with Levels and added a texture layer (sandstone) and a signature.

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FishVillageP8_pass1.jpg (66.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg FishVillageP8_pass2.jpg (54.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg FishVillageP8_WetOils10.jpg (97.4 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by SWEngineer; 01-16-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 05:34 PM

Marvellous Mark, you nailed that detail perfectly in the final image. Did you enjoy doing this....? You'll be addicted in no time. Glad you're on board to learn Painter along with Janet and I.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 05:40 PM

^ and me !!!! ( dont forget me Neve, i'm learning too )

Mark, that is helluva nice job there, and if i had not seen the original i would have swore that was painted freeform.

You really should concentrate on nailing that technique....the results are stunning !
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 07:50 PM

Thx for the compliments

Thanks Neve and Axel. I really enjoy Painter. It makes for a great fantasy that I'm actually painting. The software gets 99% of the credit for generating all the detail, however. I just have to learn which brush(es) to use and how to tame the tablet stylus. To "nail" this technique as you recommend, Axel, I plan to concentrate on just learning the WetOils10 cloner I used here. (A wonderful brush, I think.) Once I get proficient at laying down brushstrokes and learning the software more as I practice, I'll branch out to other brush families. We'll see if I have the patience to do this or not.

Great to have you all "growing up" with me on Painter. Hope to see some more of your Painter work soon.

-Mark
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art