RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

But, is it Art?

Old 09-14-2004, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
...I would say manipulation of any kind that one applies to a photo is an artistic endeavor. But the debate of whether the result is "art or not" belongs in a separate thread, so I will leave it at that.

Other RetouchPRO threads on this topic:
* http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/salon/6162-but-art-part-ii.html
* http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/work-jobs/1274-but-art.html

~Danny~
Hi Danny!

This is for the new thread:

If a picture taken by sy makes me thinking about and has feeling that's art if sy manipulate it and the picture get another meaning less or more but another that's art same i think but I' m not an artist till I've nothing to tell.

Saby

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 09-16-2004 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added links to other "Is it art?" threads.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2004, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saby
Hi Danny!

This is for the new thread:

If a picture taken by sy makes me thinking about and has feeling that's art if sy manipulate it and the picture get another meaning less or more but another that's art same i think but I' m not an artist till I've nothing to tell.

Saby
That is an interesting perspective. I have never thought of composing a photo or manipulating a photo for the purpose of telling a story. For a photo, I think of it as capturing a moment in time, but that's usually because most of my photos are of my children, and they MOVE very quickly!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2004, 03:51 PM

Tiny question. Huge answers (which should all start with "IMHO....")

IMHO "art" is producing something which will provoke a sentiment in others. Could de music, sculpture, architecture or photography. Of them all, photography is maybe the most difficult because normally you will be only registering an existing scene on film. Before photo manipulation got easy, (with limited possibilities of darkroom manipulation) the art part would come from either arranging the initial scene, or capturing something that normally wouldn't be seen.
But now, with photo manipulation, we can take a pretty common photo and, yes, turn it into art.

Quote:
For a photo, I think of it as capturing a moment in time, but that's usually because most of my photos are of my children.....
So you shoot a roll of film. 35 of the pictures give you (and just you) a warm proud father feeling but one of them stands out. You rotate and crop to get good composition. You change some colors to get the mood. You sharpen the subject and blur the background. You run it through Impressionist(!) to get a painted feeling. etc... etc..etc...etc.. and when you're finished you've got something that makes everybody feel something. Then, to me, that's art.
/IMHO Sorry about the huge answer,

Roland
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Janitor

There's a large but civil discussion thread on this very subject in the Salon forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2004, 10:41 PM

The thread Doug refers to is excellent but as I don't know how to transport the thoughts above and my own over there, I'll respond here.

I would take Saby's comments a little more liberally. Telling a story or..creating, altering or manipulating "anything" that evokes an emotional response in oneselve and others is art. In other words, I've always felt that if I create something from scratch or from manipulation which evokes an emotional response in myself and when shown to someone else who also gets an emotional response..it is art.
I guess that's why I could never see an elephant's splashing of paint on a canvas as art since there is no emotional response by the creator. It doesn't mean that lots of people wouldn't like to hang it their homes though.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2004, 02:29 AM

Quote:
That is an interesting perspective. I have never thought of composing a photo or manipulating a photo for the purpose of telling a story. For a photo, I think of it as capturing a moment in time, but that's usually because most of my photos are of my children, and they MOVE very quickly!

~Danny~
Hi Danny!

Than your pictures of Ur children can tell the most stories to U. I think what ever I made or make that typical of me. An Artist not depend on skills or any kind of qualification just want to tell sg to others by a picture a film a sketch...
Here U're a picture this is originally one moment in time but it can tell its storie.

Saby
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art