RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Animals, Tiger behind Bars

Old 10-02-2004, 09:54 PM

Creative interpretations: Animals, Tiger behind Bars

While it is much more convenient to take kids to a local zoo than pack them off to Africa, pictures like this make me a little sad even though do I appreciate the photographer's work. Photo courtesy of James at www.stx.com.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CI-TIger caged James.jpg (84.1 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2004, 01:21 AM

The cat's out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
... pictures like this make me a little sad ...
Happier now?

Pulled some tricks from the "Retouch" side of the threads and posted a new "original" - without the bars.

There are so many things that you can do with this photo - I just did the basics and (to me, anyway) it came out real fine.

Have fun!!

Roland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiger-Uncaged-byRo.jpg (98.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Tiger-Uncaged-Art-byRo.jpg (99.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: gif Tiger-Uncaged.GIF (13.4 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2004, 01:49 AM

No point in packing the kids off to Africa to see a Tiger Danny, the Tiger is an Asian animal.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2004, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
No point in packing the kids off to Africa to see a Tiger Danny, the Tiger is an Asian animal.
You are quite right, sir, and I stand (sit, actully) corrected.

Quote:
Fact: Tigers have never evolved in Africa and most experts now believe all modern subspecies descend from the South Chinese tiger form. From that part of the world tigers gradually made their way as far as Iran and Turkey, but there is no reason to suspect they ever made it as far as Africa.
Who says you can't learn something worthwhile while surfing the RP forums!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2004, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
Happier now?

Pulled some tricks from the "Retouch" side of the threads and posted a new "original" - without the bars.

There are so many things that you can do with this photo - I just did the basics and (to me, anyway) it came out real fine.

Have fun!!

Roland
Wow... That some extract job, Ro. Sure made arty-izing it a lot easier. Thanks for doing all the hard work.

This one based on the attached action (requires Impressionist plugin) + a little Photoshop Brushstrokes > Spatter.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiger out of jail by Ro - djr.jpg (85.4 KB, 44 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ART Imp Marker Opaque Strokes-djr.zip (1.2 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2004, 04:20 PM

Roland -- very nice work! If I hadn't seen the "before", I'd wouldn't even have thought about it being a retouch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2004, 10:35 AM

A long time ago in a land far, far away...I still remember Mr. Appleby's art lessons.....
One technique he taught us was to color a base with bright wax crayons and then paint over it all with black (seems you had to put in some soap, otherwise it wouldn't stick! ). Then you take something pointed and scratch the black and the underneath color comes through.
This tiger reminded me of this, so I tried to do it in PS. I thought I could use some sort of "edge finder" to do the scratches automatically, but it just didn't look right. So I ended up using a scratchy brush and did it by hand . It´s easier now than back then because we can superimpose a "cheat" layer to guide the scratches.
Mixed a bit of the linart, upped the saturation and the constrast for more impact.
That was fun,

Ro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiger-Uncaged-Art2-byRo.jpg (97.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: gif Tiger Uncaged Art2 byRo.GIF (10.5 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2004, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
A long time ago in a land far, far away...I still remember Mr. Appleby's art lessons.....
One technique he taught us was to color a base with bright wax crayons and then paint over it all with black (seems you had to put in some soap, otherwise it wouldn't stick! ). Then you take something pointed and scratch the black and the underneath color comes through.
This tiger reminded me of this, so I tried to do it in PS. I thought I could use some sort of "edge finder" to do the scratches automatically, but it just didn't look right. So I ended up using a scratchy brush and did it by hand . It´s easier now than back then because we can superimpose a "cheat" layer to guide the scratches.
Mixed a bit of the linart, upped the saturation and the constrast for more impact.
That was fun,

Ro
Very, VERY innovative technique, Ro. I'm very "traditional methods" naive, so this was especially interesting to me.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2004, 12:55 PM

I remember

I remember that technique. I loved it. I can even remember what it was I painted with it. After we were finished learning how to scratch out the black with crayons, our art teacher had us paint using acrylics. After that had dried well, we "painted" over the acrylics with rubber cement. When the rubber cement had dried, we again painted over the whole thing with a black wash of some kind (probably temperas). Lastly, we scratched over the black to reveal our masked original.

Now that my memory is jogged and my creative juices are flowing...I guess I'll get busy.

Thanks Ro!!!!!!

Janet

P.S. I love days off. I can play at the computer and forget the "mouse"work I should be doing on a day off. Yee Haw!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2004, 02:31 PM

Classroom art techniques......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
Now that my memory is jogged.......
Hey, now you got me thinking. There was one that I really liked.....
You did an outline in washable ink (yep, them days we used real fountain pens) and then smudged things in the right direction with a wet brush.
Should be easy to mimmick in PS. Hope to post one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
I love days off.
Today's (october 12th) a national holiday here in Brazil. Children's / Virgin Mary's day.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art