RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Question: How to Create a Realistic Mat Look

Old 10-26-2004, 07:05 AM

How to Create a Realistic Mat Look

I want to create a layered cut mat look as well as a floated look. Anyone have knowledge of how to do this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2004, 12:48 PM

Not sure if this is what you have in mind or not. I basically just created a couple of rectangles and applied bevel and emboss and drop shadow to them.

Frame with Mats:

1. New file
2. New Layer, name Photo. Insert image on this layer.
3. New Layer, name Inner Mat. Create a rectangle then fill. Now hollow out your rectangle...Use the rectangle marquee tool and create a rectangle slightly smaller than your current one and delete to create a space for the photo. You can create guidelines and use the snap tool to make this easier. Apply a slight bevel and emboss filter to create depth. I used the hard chisel option. Then apply a slight drop for more depth. I also applied a bit of sandstone texture with the texturizer filter.
4. New Layer, name Outer Mat. Create a rectangle slightly larger than your Inner Mat rectangle then fill. Now hollow out your rectangle...Use the rectangle marquee tool and create a rectangle slightly smaller than your current one and delete to create a space for the inner mat layer. You can create guidelines and use the snap tool to make this easier. Apply a slight bevel and emboss filter to create depth. I used the hard chisel option. Then apply a slight drop for more depth. I also applied a bit of sandstone texture with the texturizer filter.
5. New Layer, name Frame. Create a rectangle slightly larger than your Outer Mat rectangle then fill. Now hollow out your rectangle...Use the rectangle marquee tool and create a rectangle slightly smaller than your current one and delete to create a space for the mats and photo. You can create guidelines and use the snap tool to make this easier. Apply a slight bevel and emboss filter to create depth. I used the hard chisel option. Then apply a slight drop for more depth.
6. For a final touch I added a few light streaks to give the impression of light reflecting off the glass.

Floating Frame:

1. New file
2. New Layer, name Photo. Insert image on this layer. Add a drop shadow filter for depth.
3. New Layer, name Frame. Create a rectangle slightly larger than your Outer Mat rectangle then fill. Use the rectangle marquee tool and create a rectangle slightly smaller than your current one and delete to create a space for the mats and photo. You can create guidelines and use the snap tool to make this easier. Apply a slight bevel and emboss filter to create depth. I used the hard chisel option. Then apply a slight drop for more depth.
4. For a final touch I added a few light streaks to give the impression of light reflecting off the glass.

Sunflower image by tane from stock.xchng
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mat2.jpg (97.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg glass2.jpg (91.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by T Paul; 10-26-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2004, 01:46 PM

T...

Wonderful instruction and detail. A+

I'd take the lazy route and apply actions myself (big surprise).

- - - - - -

hgporter:

Check out these sites:
* http://www.AtnCentral.com - look for frame and border effects by Bud Guinn
* http://www.epaperpress.com/psphoto/index.html (click the "Frames" link on the left) - Thomas Niemann has some great actions and among them are ones for floating frames.

By studying the commands in the actions you can learn various techniques for creating all kinds of frames.

Welcome to RetouchPRO. Hope this helps get you started.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2004, 07:46 AM

Thanks guys. These look good. However, I am looking for a way to create a realistic looking bevel — like a white core in a colored, textured mat. I want to see the angle cut in the corners where the two bevel surfaces meet.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2004, 10:05 AM

I must admit I am still not sure exactly what you are looking for, but here is another example. I just cut the corner shapes out of the mat which already had bevel and emboss applied to it. When I cut out the section the bevel and emboss amounts were automatically applied to the new sections. For more detail I applied a slight inner shadow. Try experimenting with the bevel depth slider for various results.

Also if you could take a picture of the mat you are trying to create, I might get a better idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut.jpg (97.3 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2004, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgporter
Thanks guys. These look good. However, I am looking for a way to create a realistic looking bevel — like a white core in a colored, textured mat. I want to see the angle cut in the corners where the two bevel surfaces meet.

Any ideas?
The frames generated by the actions in the Bud's EZMiter, v.1 action set (available at www.atncentral.com) include 45 degree cuts at both ends of each frame piece. Although the final result is a simulated wood frame, conceptually the steps could be translated to achieve the same results on a simulated mat.

In looking over one of the actions I can tell you the steps don't lend themselves to an easily crafted a written translation here, but the results you seek can definitely be achieved. Think of the action steps as "the recipe" which you'll need to study and modify to suit your own purposes.

If you are not familiar with dissecting actions, say so and I'll be glad to get you started in that regard. It's not all that difficult.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art