~Danny~

----> I am NOT affiliated with this product. <----

http://www.pbase.com/dannyraphael/im...7/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/dannyraphael/im...7362/large.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/dannyraphael/im...4/original.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2004, 07:15 PM

nice work

Very nice renditions Danny. I wish I saw this posting before I bought the plugin and could have saved 15% .
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2004, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane
Very nice renditions Danny. I wish I saw this posting before I bought the plugin and could have saved 15% .
Diane
Sorry you missed out, Diane. Had I know about the discount code sooner, I would have posted a heads up.

Heavy sigh...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2004, 02:38 AM

Interesting filter. Better than other sketch filters, because of the way it applies several effects at once, making it easier to get the interaction working. IOW, one doesn't have to run a Photoshop filter, then add a layer, run another filter, fool with blending, then realize its a dead end, back up, try again, etc.

The sketching style is familiar, though. Reminds me a lot of Photoshop's Photocopy filter. But again, it is the quickness with which it brings sketch, texture, and color together that gives it its strength.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2004, 01:21 PM

I just bought Sketch Master, and I've done some testing. This is clearly the most advanced sketching tool I've seen. Maybe the only advanced sketching tool that does a decent job.

Anyway, I'm not going to comment on features because Danny already did that. So I'll just make a couple comments on controls. The Levels adjustment was very confusing to me until I realized what it is doing. The White Point and Light Point behave as I would expect. Reducing the White Point spreads white downward along the luminosity range of the image. Light Point does the same, but for a luminosity below white. Black Point does not work anything like what I'm used to. As I move it inward, it doesn't spread black upward into the lighter areas. Instead, it replaces black with white, and spreads this white upward. Dark Point is still a little confusing. Sometimes it behaves as I would expect a dark point to act; other times it behaves like a black point.

Whether this is a bug or a feature, I don't know. This is a sketch tool, and maybe replacing black with white facilitates a sketch look.

Andrew
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
I just bought Sketch Master, and I've done some testing. This is clearly the most advanced sketching tool I've seen. Maybe the only advanced sketching tool that does a decent job.

Anyway, I'm not going to comment on features because Danny already did that. So I'll just make a couple comments on controls. The Levels adjustment was very confusing to me until I realized what it is doing. The White Point and Light Point behave as I would expect. Reducing the White Point spreads white downward along the luminosity range of the image. Light Point does the same, but for a luminosity below white. Black Point does not work anything like what I'm used to. As I move it inward, it doesn't spread black upward into the lighter areas. Instead, it replaces black with white, and spreads this white upward. Dark Point is still a little confusing. Sometimes it behaves as I would expect a dark point to act; other times it behaves like a black point.

Whether this is a bug or a feature, I don't know. This is a sketch tool, and maybe replacing black with white facilitates a sketch look.

Andrew
Based on my dialog with the plugin author, John Redfield, I'm sure he would appreciate your comments/suggestions. I'll PM his e-mail address to you.

Can't wait to see ver 2.0. It can only get better.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2004, 04:39 PM

Thanks Danny.

I guess I should email about this. The Levels slider is one of the most important features. It controls the thresholds for how color fills the sketch.

I also found another oddity. The color slider disappears from time to time while hitting the random button. It happens about once in every 10 to 15 clicks.

Andrew
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2004, 08:23 PM

Danny,

I got answers for the two issues I raised

Black point: I'm glad I asked before jumping to a conclusion. This is a feature, not a bug. The behavior of the black point slider "allows to cut the black background. For example the photo with flash (bright face on the dark)."

Perhaps a future option could be to select the behavior of the black point slider.

Color Slider: This is connected to the Palette option. So the color slider is only active when the Palette box is checked.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2005, 06:07 PM

Sketch Master presets now available

New presets for Sketch Master crafted by the developer:

Download them here:
http://www.redfieldplugins.com/samDrawings.htm

Danny
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2005, 06:26 PM

can't see it

I downloaded and installed as per instructions in the file but it doesn't show up in the presets menu of sketchmaster.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art