RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Civil War Soldier

Old 01-03-2005, 01:55 PM

Manju, I only have two words to describe your effort.... Ewwww Kewl!

WTG.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 03:47 PM

Civil War Soldier

Hi, I''ve been lurking here for a while and I thought it was time to try one of these challenges. I used two more civil war pictures to form a sort of collage. I extracted the soldier and desaturated him. Then I created a sort of sepia tone on the entire image in an adjustment layer, did some burning, and finally, played with the liquify plug in. I'm sure I missed some steps, but I rarely do things the same way twice anyway

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CivilWarSoldier.jpg (99.9 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by earthman; 01-03-2005 at 03:57 PM. Reason: forgot the attachment
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 04:11 PM

Earthman,

Welcome and what a great way to make an entrance. Great collage and very inspiring.

If i may comment on one point though, the civil war soldier has his back to the the rest of the picture, now the jury is still out on this one, as it can be interpreted as putting the past behind him, in that sense seems to be a well thought out image, however my eye leads off the page and i find it to be a little distracting.

If the Civil War Soldier was better placed on the canvas, then perhaps it would help to balance the image a bit better.

Please take these comments with a pinch of salt, your work is fantastic, but i thought i would mention it nontheless.

Would love to see the same theme but with a slight variance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 04:34 PM

Hi Axleuk,
and thanks for the welcome I was trying to somehow show what this soldier might be thinking... all the death he has seen in his time. That was why I used the liquify effect, to give the two pictures behind him a dream-like feel. It didn't quite turn out the way I'd planned, though. I agree with you that the composition needs work. Much too heavy on the left. Maybe if I lightened the cemetary pic it would help. Perhaps I'll fool around with this more and resubmit it. Thanks for your critique. I really do appreciate it.

Phil
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 04:37 PM

Hi Phil:

Let me add my welcome.

Yours is a very compelling creation. I applaud the introduction of the other images for effect. Two big thumbs up.

Look forward to seeing more of your handiwork in the future. Glad you took the plunge.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 05:01 PM

What a thought provoking picture and very nicely executed. It certainly makes a statement. My only comment (I hope you still have the layered file) would be to flip the background so it moves right to left and place the soldier on the right side of the composition.

Janet

P.S. On second thought, forget the flipping. I like it the way it is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 10:30 PM

Wow, I don't know how to discuss this one. I lurk on this site and play with the methods discussed but this thread has me stopped. Most times the images started with and created are 'art' meaning I see them as how to take a subject and maybe tell something but more likely to show something 'pretty' [I know thats not the word I need to use but the only one I can think of].

This image started out the same, lets see how people make a different piece of art of what they see. I had decided that LQQKER had made a phenomenal portrait, then I came to earthman's statement.

I am floored. No matter what others may think of his composition or methodology, That may be one of the strongest statements of war I've ever seen.

I'm not even going to try to edit this cause if I didn't get across the passion this image brings to me, If I failed to state it the way I feel, I'm sorry.

Earthmen, well done.

Robert
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2005, 11:48 AM

Thanks for all your kind words. In the cold weather, my work slows way down, so I'm able to fool around with photoshop more than usual. This site is a great resource for knowlege and inspiration. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute in some way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2005, 09:19 AM

Red face WOW Earthman!

Welcome to the forum Phil its a pleasure to see such a interesting collage...Very inspiring, its a picture to make a person think isn't it...Well done!

Legacy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2005, 11:56 AM

Thanx Legacy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art