RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative challenge 001: Pamela in BW

Old 04-04-2005, 10:33 PM

Thanks, Judy, for both the compliment and the welcome! Now I'm searching through this site for another challenge image on which to experiment-- is it okay to work on those that may be a bit out of date?

Are new photo-art challenges posted on a regular basis-- once a week, twice a month, or something along those lines-- or is it more haphazard?

Having first fallen in love with photography as the result of growing up surrounded by the work of the great early-20th century photographer/pictorialist William Mortensen, I've always had a passion for artistically transforming my images. I began in the early 1970s, applying a wide assortment of techniques both in and out of my darkroom and using everything from Marshall's Photo Oils to brush-applied Farmers Reducer to pumice stone, boric acid, and charcoal rubs.

After turning the focus of my work from the traditional to the digital darkroom in 1990 I've been digitally transforming photos into sketches and paintings, expanding and improving my techniques and experimenting with new and better software as the technology has continued to evolve.

I would rather be doing this than just about anything else-- with the single exception of painting with brilliant, buttery acrylics on a good canvas, which I also love-- and having the opportunity to play with the challenge images in a no-pressure, deadline-free environment is very relaxing and a lot of fun.

Thanks for having me!

Take care,

Shoshanna
http://www.pbase.com/shoshanna
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanna

Are new photo-art challenges posted on a regular basis-- once a week, twice a month, or something along those lines-- or is it more haphazard?
I'm very glad to make your acquaintance Shoshanna. You are the second person I've met to have the name Shoshanna. It is a beautiful name.

In answer to your question, photo-art challenges are posted often. They are every bit as varied as the multitude of people who frequent this forum. You won't have any trouble at all finding pictures to work on.

And if you feel like exploring, by all means do. The older challenges have some wonderful pictures that benefit us all when they are used. I liken it to getting out that box in the corner, which has been put away for a long time, and discovering a treasure you thought had been lost.

Have fun. Be creative. Enjoy.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 10:31 AM

RE: Duv

I like what you did. It reduced it to the essentials. Her eyes, lips, and jaw line are what intrigued me about the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanna
After turning the focus of my work from the traditional to the digital darkroom in 1990 I've been digitally transforming photos into sketches and paintings, expanding and improving my techniques and experimenting with new and better software as the technology has continued to evolve.

I would rather be doing this than just about anything else-- with the single exception of painting with brilliant, buttery acrylics on a good canvas, which I also love-- and having the opportunity to play with the challenge images in a no-pressure, deadline-free environment is very relaxing and a lot of fun.

Thanks for having me!

Take care,

Shoshanna
http://www.pbase.com/shoshanna
Shoshanna...you've come to the right place, dear. Our "photo art" sub-forum is teeming with members who simply THRIVE on digital tinkering. Here is a community of people who actually encourage you to ram your creative energies into the photos that we so lovingly post in this section. These have to be copy-right free. Go on, they're yours to play with. You may add a few of your own too for the rest of us to enjoy! It's a great place to relax and have fun. You are so right about that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Here's my version, and a cropped closeup to better show the effects.
Very interesting approach. What program/plugin, etc. did you use. I don't recognize this effect.

Quote:
This is becoming addictive. I may soon be in need of a 12-step program.
The Doctor (me) is almost always in (in trouble, that is)!

Quote:
Is there another challenge image with which we can play?
There are many. You may engage any of the photo manipulation threads [u]anytime[/i] you like. There's no time limit or restrictions whatsoever on participation.

I'm looking forward to seeing the next ones you try.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 06:22 PM

Shoshanna, super result from your addiction. I'm sorry to say there's no known cure for it except a power cut
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2005, 02:19 AM

Thought I'd have another go in Painter trying the Pencils. Tweaked in PSP8.1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Painter Sketch Pamela.jpg (96.3 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2005, 08:19 AM

Some wonderful interpretations here, everyone. I gave her a new background and inverted it, then ran Mike Finn's Sketcher, did some dodging & smudging to remove some of the specks, played w/ layer modes, and applied Dave's Ethereal Glow @ 70%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pamela.jpg (89.6 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 03:09 PM

Re: Creative challenge 001: Pamela in BW

How could I do something different, look at whats gone before all brilliant.
Well I tried, and here it is.

BTW if your going to have a go at this make sure you read the first post.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pam.jpg (99.9 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 04:11 PM

Re: Creative challenge 001: Pamela in BW

The little lady in shades of gray.

Steve C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa B&W lady222.jpg (97.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Steve Conway; 02-21-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art