RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative Interpretations: Harley Davidson

Old 03-06-2005, 11:14 AM

Creative Interpretations: Harley Davidson

Danny - thanks for the info on the Impressionist plug-in. Here's my first attempt, using the pencil sketch filter, along with Photoshop's artistic and brush filters. I've just barely scratched the surface, but this will be a great tool once I figure it out. Here's a photo I've been putting off doing 'cause the background was so busy...

Marge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harley2orig.jpg (98.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg harley2thumb.jpg (89.8 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2005, 11:39 AM

Very nice work Marge, especially with the distracting background. Welcome to RP.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2005, 12:01 PM

Kinda figured the Sooie 'HAWG' would be the first to jump on this.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2005, 09:47 PM

harley sketch

Had a request for more detail on the steps I used for the Harley. It's based on a tutorial I found on here on RetouchPRO; after removing the background, I made a duplicate layer, desaturated it, used the artistic filter - dry brush; set opacity to 70%; duplicated that layer, used the brush strokes filter - angled strokes, set opacity to 25%; merged those three layers. Duplicated the merged layer, used smart blur - radius and threshold set towards the high end, quality: high, mode: edge only; changed the layer mode to overlay and reduced the opacity to something that looked good, then merged the two top layers; at that point I used Impressionist - pencil sketch, detailed monochrome. Since the Harley name pretty much disappeared at that point, I used a selection from the original photo, feathered, desaturated and one of the blending modes like overlay or luminosity.

Hope that helps - I don't always remember the steps since I kind of make it up as I go along. (Which causes me to spend a lot more time than I plan sometimes - I spent 3 hours on this one!)

Marge
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2005, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge
Danny - thanks for the info on the Impressionist plug-in. Here's my first attempt, using the pencil sketch filter, along with Photoshop's artistic and brush filters. I've just barely scratched the surface, but this will be a great tool once I figure it out. Here's a photo I've been putting off doing 'cause the background was so busy...

Marge
Hey, Marge:

Welcome aboard. Glad you got Impressionist up and running. It's a pretty fun toy to play with.

Nice job on the Harley. Isolating it from the background and the addition of the text was a good approach. Thanks for sharing the how-to info. That enables many to learn from your skills and experiences.

re: Barely scratched the surface [of Impressionist]
I can relate. There's definitely no shortage of options and tuning knobs.

I'm glad you joined us.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 06:00 PM

Hi Marge and welcome! What a rare post to start with, your steps taken info is much appreciated. Great result and looking forward to viewing much more
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 09:09 PM

Welcome! What a great sketch of the Harley, nice to see something other than flowers. Not that I don't like flowers . . . my brother-in-law would probably love to see me do something like that for his bimmer, yours would look really nice framed in the garage above the Harley, or in it's owner's office.

Patricia
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 03:41 PM

sorry Cardmnal but found a real harley ( i know your harley is a real dog !) not much time to spend on it now so may well be back

palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harley2orig.jpg (91.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Patron

Resized and made it a watercolor.

Nothing else to say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harley2orig.jpg (99.4 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art