RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Photo Montage / Collages

Old 03-23-2005, 10:16 PM

Photo Montage / Collages

Hi All:
Besides photo restoration, I love to try and make unique photo montages /collages. Does anyone here do any and if so could you maybe post and show your work and give a tutorial on how you do them. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 11:18 PM

Neb, if you look at the menu at the top of each forum page, you will see "Search" -- I typed in the word "collage" and brought up a list of threads that include the word. Admittedly, some of the threads just mention the word, but here are three threads that do include collages. I know you're still finding your way around all these forums and sub-forums, and thought you might like to know about the search function.

This first thread includes a link to an Acrobat (pdf) file with tips on constructing collages:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...hlight=collage

Here are two threads that invite people to make use of included images and create a collage:

Have Fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 03:21 AM

CJ:
I was able to get to the last two links, but the one I really wanted to see would only open a blank adobe reader page. Will try again at a more decent hour. 3:19 am here. Thanks for the tip though about search. Neb

PS: I loved the posted collages of the young man deere and water,
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny
CJ:
I was able to get to the last two links, but the one I really wanted to see would only open a blank adobe reader page. Will try again at a more decent hour. 3:19 am here. Thanks for the tip though about search. Neb

PS: I loved the posted collages of the young man deere and water,
Neb, click on this link and then right click on the link listed on that page and choose "Save target as... " to save it to your hard drive -- decide where you want to save it and then you can open it in Adobe Reader and read it at your leisure

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2005, 10:32 AM

Smile

Just got to this post CJ...Thanks for the information, have it saved now. Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2005, 10:42 AM

Good! Glad the download worked, and hope it gives you some ideas to try!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 08:44 AM

Collage Photos

I have done a few. Here is one I did that I was real happy with.

This is 14 photos merged into one. Took almost 4 hours total with all of the extractions necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cardinals.jpg (92.8 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 09:39 AM

Very Nice! Some questions . What was the final printable size and file size? How do you get the pictures you place within the collage the correct size or demensions? Maybe silly questions but not for sure how to make things look balanced and equal. Did you use selections or extract to get such a clean edge on the pictures you placed on the background? Thanks for any information and help. Neb

Looked at your web site ..very nice and some nice restoration examples.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny
Very Nice! Some questions . What was the final printable size and file size? How do you get the pictures you place within the collage the correct size or demensions? Maybe silly questions but not for sure how to make things look balanced and equal. Did you use selections or extract to get such a clean edge on the pictures you placed on the background? Thanks for any information and help. Neb

Looked at your web site ..very nice and some nice restoration examples.

Nebgranny,

First of all, Thanks for the compliments.

Now to answer your Q's. The final print size was 11x8.5 at 300 dpi. I made sure I made it large enough to print. Of course I had to resize it for here.

Each individual was extracted and placed on a photo background of the stadium itself which I used for the background. I also put in the building, the arch, and the moon. The players took the majority of time extracting. I do the extraction quite a bit differently than most do I am sure. I ERASE the background very carefully. Yes, yes, yes, it takes some time, but I have found it much cleaner as you mention in the long run. Plus, with these players, there was no fly-away hair to deal with.

Just took a long time dealing with 14 images and all of the erasing I had to do, but if you would see the final photo in a frame, you would understand why I took such a long time to do it. I guess the ole saying of "all good things come to those who wait" really applied here, in a slightly different context of course. In this case, "all goods things come to those who take your time and do it right". Not sure I would have the patience to do one again though.....LOL. Maybe I would try with fewer pictures.....lol

The major problem, was getting all of the original photos. You know how difficult it can be to get good photos of ballplayers...lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
Good! Glad the download worked, and hope it gives you some ideas to try!
Hey CJ,

Saw your post on my pbase gallery"
Arizona has a Cardinals team also -- they're supposed to play football -- ever hear of them? ;-)
CJ

The answer is YEAH I have heard of them, they are my FORMER St. Louis Cardinals if you remember.......LOL. Now we have the RAMS...yuk, yuk.

I want my Cardinals back, you thieves.......
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing