RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Mask Tutorial

Old 06-01-2005, 09:38 PM

Thank you TB. It was nice of you to work on the picture. I still cannot figure out why that layer mask tutorial will not work on the picture. I suppose there is a reason I am totally dumb with this photoshop thing. Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 08:19 AM

When you say it does not work do you mean the mask is not working or the restoration is not working? I suspect that the problem is the work done on the layer that is masked. One thing to also be aware of is most tutorials are written in earlier versions often 7 or newer ones in CS (some would be older like 5 or 6) you have CS2 and CS2 made several big changes in dealing with layers and the selection methods. It would probably help to read/watch some of the information/videos available about CS2 and you will see how they describe the difference in layer selections, there is no need to link any more (just use shift and select each one) and clipping is activated different now, there is no paitbrush and mask symbol in the little column now you look at the changed box highlight (see image) and sets are now called groups. So watch out for these becasue tutorials will not have these methods in. Also when painting masks, I am sure you have noticed you must be careful to actually select the mask area on the layer selection menu.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cs2_layer.jpg (41.5 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 10:57 AM

THATS IT......Thank you !! I just purchased CS2 and really do not know much about any of the other versions at all, however last night I looked a little closer and saw that the pictures on the tutorial and the layers palette in my version were not matching. I knew it was either a setting or the version had changed . I know I really need to look over and listen to the information movies, but the one I did pull up was a pain, it would start then stop and start all over again each time getting a little further into the tutorial , I sure got frustrated with it so never went back to try again. Thanks so much you are so right on! Now to figure out if the tutorial will work and how to use it in CS2. Thanks so very much!! Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 03:24 PM

Hi Neb,

So glad that thanks to creeduk we both solved the mystery of your Layer Mask!! I really had no idea that the differences between PS CS and PS CS2 were so big!!!

I also had a quick go at your picture and, taking into consideration the cropped version you posted first, I worked on that bit only ....

I did two versions of it ... in the middle one I simply cleaned it and balanced shadows and highlights ... in the last one I also changed the background...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_full-pictureCrop.jpg (95.9 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi Neb,

So glad that thanks to creeduk we both solved the mystery of your Layer Mask!! I really had no idea that the differences between PS CS and PS CS2 were so big!!!
It was a pleasure to collaborate

Yes there are some big ones now along with more reliance on the new format PSB for large files. The layers are easier but take a little geting used to for us seasoned users. I posted some of my findings here : http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/software/10260-photoshop-cs2-released.html
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing