Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Vignette/Montage Help!

Old 06-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Smile Vignette/Montage Help!

I know what I want my end result to look like, but I don't seem to be able to follow one of the tutorials that I took a look at.

Concept: Basically, I want to do something like the following: take image #1, reduce it in size to fit into a small area in image #2 (like a leaf in a pile of scattered leaves). I want to make image #1 less opaque and feather out the edges so that it blends into the leaf in image #2 but image #1 still needs to be discernable. This would then be repeated with images 1a, 1b, etc. being fitted into various leaves in image #2.

Questions: 1. How do I achieve this effect?

2. When using a magnetic lasso and moving part of a hypothetical image A into image B and then reducing the size of partial image A, is there a way to insure that the proper width to height of partial image A is maintained when doing the transformation so as to avoid distortion? Right now I've been eye-balling it; however, I've got a building that I want to transform into smaller size and eye-balling it gets a wee bit dicey.

Many thanks,

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 08:59 PM
1 The best way is to learn how to use masks..

2If you are in photoshop and using free transform hold the shift key while dragging to resize or type the Width and Height percentages in the top menu (shown as W and H)..
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 10:59 PM
is there a way to insure that the proper width to height of partial image A is maintained when doing the transformation so as to avoid distortion?
in paint shop pro, you would ensure that the little checkbox 'maintain aspect ratio' within the resize window is checked. this will the keep the horizontal and vertical in the proper ratio to each other. i'm fairly sure photoshop has something like this also, but i dont use it currently, so dont know where.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Lightbulb From my amateurish experience

I am no expert, but do a lot of photomanipulation and so far could not get the gist of using masks (or maybe I do and don't know it ) so what I usually do is the following:

First I make sure that both images have the same resolution if they do and the part I need from "image 1" is larger than the space where I want to insert it in "image 2", I select it (depending on size I give a 3 or 4 px feather or just antialias) copy; paste (as new layer in same image 1); reduce it to the approx. size to fit in the area of "image 2" ; remove all unwanted background px; select the blank area in the new layer, inverse selection then ; copy and paste it in "image 2".

You mentioned that it is a building you need to add; my PS version (CS2) has a Perspective and a Warp option which might be useful in this case.

Hope it helps a little with your question. If it's too obvious just bear in mind that I am a relatively "newbie" with the technical applications in PS.

Rgds - Martha

P.S. Tks Delic for the link about "Masks" will see if I can finally manage to learn this to me "misterious" PS device.

Last edited by Marthig; 06-15-2005 at 02:06 PM. Reason: to add note to Delic
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 01:51 AM
If you can download a few of the pictures you're wanting to work with, it will be easier for us to advise you as to the best action to take.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing