RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Extract , then getting a soft edge?

Old 07-31-2005, 04:35 PM

Extract , then getting a soft edge?

I am using CS2 and like the extract filter. However my problem is not having a nice clean edge after the extract. I like to make collages and when I paste the extracted picture it does not look nice and professional at all. Can someone help me with a technique to soften the edges so when placed in the collage they look nice . I would really appreciate any help and if you can suggest an easy way to do this , I would be so grateful. I like collages with cutout and pasted pictures. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 06:29 PM

There are a couple variations on how to approach this.

Here's one you can try once you have the extracted object on a separate layer:
* Below the extracted layer, create a new layer and fill it with white or any color that will show up well below the extracted object. If you're doing a collage, a good choice of color would be whatever you're using for the background.
* On the layer with the extracted object: Ctrl + click on the little image (the thumbnail) in the Layers Palette. This will "load" the selection (surround the object with "marching ants").
* Zoom in quite a bit so you can see one edge fairly close up.
* Select > Modify > Contract. The value you specify will depend on image resolution, so you'll need to experiment a bit. Start with, say, 2-4, and see how it goes.
* Select > Inverse
* Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur. Experiment with the Radius slider. If the Preview option is on, you'll be able to see the effect This will soften the edges from "just a little" to A LOT.

Hope this helps get you started.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2005, 06:56 PM

Hi,

I usually use this trick learned from Katrin's book, ctrl click the thumbnail of extracted object to load the selection, add a layer mask, then using gaussing blur, just a few pixels which depends, then ctrl+m to load the curve adjustment for the mask, drag the mid point up, watch the changes til you get a nice result.

Realaqu
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 08:10 AM

Danny and real:
Thanks for the information. I tried both techniques . I found the one Danny posted worked for me and then the other did not , as I must have not been doing it right, I am new to masks.

The problem I think I am having which I thought this would resolve is that my initial extract is a little wavy as not a steady hand I guess. I noticed there are a couple more functions in extract like edge cleaning , which I do not know how or when to use. Can you help maybe with the over all function of this filter? Also maybe you both or others know of a better way to cut out and then paste a photo into a college effect. Thanks Again Neb
I will post a piece of a collage , to show the effect I am trying to learn .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridegroom.jpg (5.6 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 02:32 PM

the top layer is the extracted flower, I ctrl+click it to load the selection, then put a layer mask. apply guassing blur to your mask. then ctrl+m to adjust this mask, sometimes you need to drag the midpoint down, sometimes up which depends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg realaqu-0075.jpg (37.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg realaqu-0076.jpg (52.6 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 04:03 PM

Real; Thank you . This worked great!! Now if you could help me with a steady hand I would be all set!! I appreciate your replys. I am so grateful to have found this site . I am learning slowly but surely. Plus the people here are so patient and helpful. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 01:33 AM

Hi Neb,

If you're using the extract filter to remove an object from its background, you will quite often not get a clean extraction (depending on background).

My advice is this, don't use the tools in extract to clean up the object, but use the eraser tool, and the history brush tool (one to remove things that still need removing, the other to add back detail that may have been removed in the extract).

The object can be seen better, if you place a plain contrasting layer beneath the extracted object layer.

Hope this is clear.

Gary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 08:19 AM

Hi Gary: Yes it is clear, and thanks for the reply. I so like the extract filter. I do use the eraser and history tool as well to do as you suggest.

I do not know for sure what you mean add a contrast layer , could you add more information about this part.

My problem is having a nice even edge around the extracted photo. I want to put the extracted piece into a collage and sometimes it just does not look nice and even.It has sharp edges and sometimes a litle wavey as I just do not have a real steady hand when cleaning . I am looking for the technique which will help make it look nicer and the edges smoother when pasting onto a BG for the collage. Also it needs to have a transparent bg for when I cut and paste it into the collage. Hope you know what I am getting at and trying to do. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2005, 03:33 PM

hi Neb,

When you've extracted an object from an image, the background is removed, and the extracted object is on its own layer.

Now, add a layer (I usually do it by clicking on the new layer icon at the bottom of the layers palette).

Move it so it is below the extracted object in your layer stack. Fill with a colour that contrasts well with the object you've extracted, this just makes seeing the extracted object easier, and simplifies cleaning up edges.

If you save this as a PSD file, your extracted object will be on a clear layer, and the plain coloured contrast layer will be below it.

If you want to copy and paste to a new image, do the following.

Open both images on your desktop. Click on your file with the extracted object. Click on your layer palette, and make sure the object layer is the one that is active. Now Ctrl+click on the layer, this will select the object. Now right click and select "Copy".

Click on file you want to paste to, and in layers palette click the layer that you want to paste on to, then right click and select "Paste".

This will put a copy of your object on a layer above the one you selected in your target file.

This all sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is to do, put it down to my poor instruction (you can see why I never write tutorials).

A quick extraction below, using a picture of camels from another post (hope I'm OK using it), 1st Original. 2nd Extracted Camel, 3rd Layer stack for Extraction, showing added colour layer, 4th Original with New camel added, 5th layer stack for 4th image.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cams.jpg (99.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Extracted Camel.jpg (39.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (11.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg cams plus 1.jpg (85.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Layers 2.jpg (12.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 08-02-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing