RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Shutter or Windowframes help

Old 08-16-2005, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
ok, what is 'PI'? photoshop illustrator?

good

and thank you i found a window set on google images and used that. i erased out the outer frame and shutters and the images in the window panes and used that for the bottom top layer. found another scene seen from inside a house through windows and cut that out and put that on as the bottom layer and put your image sandwiched inbetwee on the middle layer. i erased a bit around the top of your head where it was squared up and smudged the edges a bit.

it actually took longer to find the proper window in google than it did to do the work of putting things together i didnt bother checking for shadows and lighting and levels and so on and didnt bother to clean it up much either as i just wanted to see if this was the sort of thing you wanted. i could have also drawn in a bit of reflective quality to the panes that were no longer there to simulate them still being there. and then there's all the .jpg artifacts and ....

we're our own worse critics, arent we.

Craig

You did a grand job of it, Craig! We're our own worst critics? Yup.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:45 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/maureeno5/4.jpg

I decided to go with a lightkeepr's theme and have the image appear as a view from inside the lighthouse window.

I hope I posted properly. I made one window opened inward and the other closed and put a ship's wheel at the wall there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:52 AM

Quote:
ok, what is 'PI'? photoshop illustrator?

good

and thank you i found a window set on google images and used that. i erased out the outer frame and shutters and the images in the window panes and used that for the bottom top layer. found another scene seen from inside a house through windows and cut that out and put that on as the bottom layer and put your image sandwiched inbetwee on the middle layer. i erased a bit around the top of your head where it was squared up and smudged the edges a bit.

it actually took longer to find the proper window in google than it did to do the work of putting things together i didnt bother checking for shadows and lighting and levels and so on and didnt bother to clean it up much either as i just wanted to see if this was the sort of thing you wanted. i could have also drawn in a bit of reflective quality to the panes that were no longer there to simulate them still being there. and then there's all the .jpg artifacts and ....

we're our own worse critics, arent we.

Craig

Craig, the PI is PhotoImpact. I use that programme the most as it's stuffed with shortcuts and I learnt most of my grafx from that and PSP 7. PS 6 is what I'm learning now as if no one knew THAT, eh?....

I took online courses (6 weeks) and sat exams after (online, as well) but chose not to receive the certificate.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 12:47 PM

Perfectly formed and now perfectly framed Maureen.
Nicely done and very inventive. My only criticism is that maybe the window should be a little bigger. The scale looks a little wrong.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Perfectly formed and now perfectly framed Maureen.
Nicely done and very inventive. My only criticism is that maybe the window should be a little bigger. The scale looks a little wrong.

Ken
Yeah, Ken, you're spot on with the framing bit. If I attempt to perfect the scheme, I'll crop at the top of the window to make it appear it's taller and that may resolve the scaling issue. I hope....

Thanks!
Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
You did a grand job of it, Craig!
thank you

ah, photoimpact. ok.

re your lighthouse pic, i like the overall composition and colors. and the guy with his head partially turned is good. one of my observations is also with scale, but not the window. the guy is closer to us than the pic of you, but your head looks larger than his. i'd scale that part down.

the other thing is, what are those blueish streaks? fog? inside the lighthouse? they seem a bit out of place.

i like the ship's wheel. an oil hurricane lantern would have worked also.

well on your way to a very nice piece, though

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:13 PM

Oh, even though I built the French window pane in PhotoImpact, I saved it as a .psd if anyone would like to have it. Since I originally built it in a green colour, you may only be able to use levels to darken it. I don't think the colour or texture can be changed.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:18 PM

Quote:
thank you

ah, photoimpact. ok.

re your lighthouse pic, i like the overall composition and colors. and the guy with his head partially turned is good. one of my observations is also with scale, but not the window. the guy is closer to us than the pic of you, but your head looks larger than his. i'd scale that part down.

the other thing is, what are those blueish streaks? fog? inside the lighthouse? they seem a bit out of place.

i like the ship's wheel. an oil hurricane lantern would have worked also.

well on your way to a very nice piece, though

Craig

You're right, Craig, about the hurricaine lantern, it would have doen well there.

My scaling is off, and I'm giving thought ot perfecting this effect, but not TOO much thought today! There are so many things I can do with this effect and just the fact that I can perrom it part-way, is enough for me right this minute.

I'll need more patience and time. The greyish streaks? Yes, that's fog. Perhaps an opposing window is open in that lighthouse letting all that fog in???

The idea has potential, though! You are welcome to the French window panel if you'd like to play round with a project you have going. I saved it as a .psd.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2005, 01:26 PM

maureen,

ya done good

and thank you for the offer.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2005, 10:15 PM

Quote:
maureen,

ya done good

and thank you for the offer.

Craig
Thank you, Craig! I've still a way to go before I've got the idea on track, though.
Maureen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing