RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Shutter or Windowframes help

Old 08-16-2005, 03:01 AM

Shutter or Windowframes help

I've a photo I'm trying to make appear as if as if I'm seen by someone peering OUT of the window to the garden. I've burnt the leaves behind me to darken them a wee bit to fit with the branch shadows. I'm thinking of the French-type windows being partly opened and have not got the proper scheme worked up as yet.

Are there any .psd window frames done up as download anywhere that I might have a look at, does anyone know of?

Or any other idea on hand?

Thanks!
Maureen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maureen for window frame.jpg (56.4 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 03:19 AM

I think this is called a 'Barn-Door' effect.
The way i would do this is to draw the 'slats' say an inch apart and slightly at an angle for dynamism, You can draw this in Illustrator or Freehand, import it into Shop and apply a slight gaussian blur to achive the shaddowy effect, then give the layer an efect like Multiply, Screen or Overlay depending on which looks best with your image. Then adust the Transparency until your happy. Look forward to seeing the result!
Love the leaves by the way!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyAustin
I think this is called a 'Barn-Door' effect.
The way i would do this is to draw the 'slats' say an inch apart and slightly at an angle for dynamism, You can draw this in Illustrator or Freehand, import it into Shop and apply a slight gaussian blur to achive the shaddowy effect, then give the layer an efect like Multiply, Screen or Overlay depending on which looks best with your image. Then adust the Transparency until your happy. Look forward to seeing the result!
Love the leaves by the way!

That's an idea, Danny, thanks! I'll have a go at it and will post what turns up from my efforts!

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 01:55 PM

maureen,

i dont see any in psp. dont know about PS. i did a google search and you might be surprised how many folks call french doors, french windows. so, i have to ask the obvious; do you mean french doors or french windows?

also, i'd highly recommend doing a google image serach on 'french windows'. you can either borrow images (bearing in mind copywrites) for actual use or copy some of the designs in making them yourself.

and, i wasnt quite sure what you wanted to do exactly. your image you posted is only of the head. if someone were looking out a window at you, wouldnt that image be further away and have more of the body in the frame? or did you want to have it as if you were close up to the windows, maybe peering over the bottom frame of the window?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 02:27 PM

maureen,

now i know there's all sorts of things wrong with the image i'm posting here, but i just wanted to know if this is at least sort of what you're looking for?

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maureen-framed-1-k-1.jpg (92.4 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
maureen,

now i know there's all sorts of things wrong with the image i'm posting here, but i just wanted to know if this is at least sort of what you're looking for?

Craig
You know, Craig, you just gave me an excellent idea! What I think I'll do is do up a window, put my image into it and build a wee bit of an interior wall round it, then add the rear of a head as if peering out. It will basically be a close shot of two people seeing each other through the panes.

I cropped the image and didn't save the original, at least not that I can find. I'll enlarge the garden effect a bit and leave my chin closer to the bottom frame as you've done and see what I can turn up.

Thanks for the brilliant thought!

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
You know, Craig, you just gave me an excellent idea!
well good. excellent

umm, but to my original question, was that (my image) sort of what you were originally talking about?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 07:09 PM

Quote:
well good. excellent

umm, but to my original question, was that (my image) sort of what you were originally talking about?

Craig
In a major way, it was, Craig. However now that I look at it, I see that I have to make the scheme a wee bit more tight in.

I made a French Window in PI and I'm working the piece into a scheme that I think will work. If it does, I'll show you.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 07:11 PM

Quote:
maureen,

Craig
BTW, Craig, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your workup here. It's brilliant! I just see now, that you've put it in front of me, that I need to zero in closer.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 07:22 PM

ok, what is 'PI'? photoshop illustrator?

Quote:
In a major way, it was,
good

and thank you i found a window set on google images and used that. i erased out the outer frame and shutters and the images in the window panes and used that for the bottom top layer. found another scene seen from inside a house through windows and cut that out and put that on as the bottom layer and put your image sandwiched inbetwee on the middle layer. i erased a bit around the top of your head where it was squared up and smudged the edges a bit.

it actually took longer to find the proper window in google than it did to do the work of putting things together i didnt bother checking for shadows and lighting and levels and so on and didnt bother to clean it up much either as i just wanted to see if this was the sort of thing you wanted. i could have also drawn in a bit of reflective quality to the panes that were no longer there to simulate them still being there. and then there's all the .jpg artifacts and ....

we're our own worse critics, arent we.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing