RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Moving the background closer..

Old 10-02-2005, 07:04 PM

Sorry to drag this thread back up out of the gutter...

I re-shot the background. I left all colors and levels alone (sometimes the best photoshop technique is to just leave it alone!). I thinks this fits together better now.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tower-wide.jpg (97.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg tower-zoom.jpg (96.6 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2005, 11:00 PM

ok, i hate to be the pest, but i'm still having trouble with the lighting. the foreground says the light is up and to the right. the background says not as far up and more to the left. if you look at the foothills, they are in shade. if the foreground is light up-right, the foothills wouldnt be in shade. if you lightened the cupola and tower edges more to the left it might help.

also, i'd offset the mountain to the right a bit. currently the mountain and tower are in conflict with the tower hiding the mountain.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
ok, i hate to be the pest
Not at all, I appreciate an honest opinion and that's why I hang out here. I can get a "That's nice, dear" any time I want. I'm going to have to develop an eye for this lighting business. Fortunately, I have several images of Mt. Baker from throughout the day, and it's just a matter of laying down the correct one as a background.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Rogers; 10-03-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2005, 01:41 PM

ken,

thanks. it's always a bit weird critiquing other's work. you want to point out issues, but you dont want to squash someone or someone's work either. and i can certainly appreciate the 'that's nice, dear'

i'm going to also mention something that's bugged me about this piece. it's not a 'wrong', but just something that sort of bugs me with this one. this could very well occur this way, but in this image it just sort of looks odd to me. and that is, notice the angles on the building and the angles on the mountain. they seem out of symmetry to me. the mountains look like they shld be skewed more, with the right side angled back more to match the angles on the building. you know what i'm saying here? if you pushed the right side (our right) back on the mountains while leaving the left side fixed, it would match up the symmetry of mountain to building more. it's not a 'wrong'. it could very well exist this way in a shot, but just for aesthetic reasons it might look better.

does that make sense or am i just seeing things here? feel free to critique my critique

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2005, 06:09 PM

Kraellin,

After noting your observation I'm starting to see the many 45-degree angles in the design of this tower. Whoever designed it must have been a physics genius...or completely mad. The left slope of Mount Baker is approximately the same angle, but the right slope sort of has a funny angle of it's own.

I could distort the mountain, but I'm afraid to tamper with what really exists. I do think you are correct that I should slide Mt. Baker over to the right just a tad and I will do that.

Kenny
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2005, 11:33 PM

ok, good deal look forward to seeing the next one!

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing