RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Moving the background closer..

Old 09-24-2005, 02:28 PM

Need ideas for an interesting composite job

I always love those zoom photos you see in magazines where a distant background object (such as the moon) is enlarged to the point where it's bigger than foreground objects (such as people).

I have a customer interested in just that. He calls it "foreshortening", but I don't think that's quite the right term for it. From the original below, I have enlarged the backround mountain detail as much as I dare. However this is not quite what he wanted. What he would like is for the volcano to take up the entire image, with the foreground tower appearing small and insignificant, as if I'd taken the picture from 2 miles away with a massive zoom lens.

So it's definitely going to be a composite job, and I have plenty of pictures of both the tower and the mountains to work with. I'll get started on this and post my progress, but I would appreciate any links or examples of such work that anyone wishes to share with me.

Thanks,

Ken
PS7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morningtowerbefore.jpg (14.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg morningtowerafter.jpg (14.0 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 12:15 AM

This is my general idea. It's not finished, so please excuse the crudity of the selection. I've made a quick-and-dirty selection of the tower and dropped it over top of a mountainous background. I'm not sure how much I intend to crop yet. The final image may only show the glass cab at the top of the tower.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tower-Image.jpg (23.0 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 12:34 AM

lookin good to me, but what's the client say? might be a good idea to check since he rejected an earlier piece.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 12:45 AM

I'm going to pretty it up some more before I show him anything. First, I thought I'd see what you all think of it (i.e. any obvious perspective or lighting issues...).

Here's my progress 30 minutes later...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tower-Image-2.jpg (35.4 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 01:00 AM

Wow you are doing a great job I took the sign out but thats the only improvement I could see needed doing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tower-Image Sign Gone.jpg (88.4 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 10:01 AM

That looks good, I'll remove that sign. Here's my progress after 60 minutes of work. Do you think I've over-cropped? I'll give my customer some options as far as cropping goes. I am starting to run low on pixels with this degree of cropping (1485x1061 for a 5x7 print).

I've done my best with the lighting of the tower. I added some red and yellow with the Color Balance control, and I've toned down the areas with bright sunlight (you can't see them anymore). I've softened the edges of the tower with a mask and soft brush, and even ran the blur tool over the edges so it doesn't look like I'd done a scissor job. I still need to clean up the tower, as it looks a little worse for wear. The customer wants to be able to show off his work site, so I will remove the grime from the cement.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tower-Image-3.jpg (27.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Ken Rogers; 09-25-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 02:44 PM

My customer was very pleased with these, although I don't think the lighting is quite perfect.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tower.jpg (44.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Tower-2.jpg (32.6 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 02:49 PM

well, based on what little information we have on the client's wishes, i'd guess you're probably more on it with this last one.

however, your shadows appear to be wrong. the mountain pic seems to have the light coming from almost sraight back or maybe slightly back and left (our left), while the tower seems to be lit from the right back. back meaning, back where we are, not in back of the tower or mountain. the mountain also appears to be a sunset or sunrise, whereas the tower seems a more median time of day.

Craig

edit: oops. double posted here with you. when i say your last image, i mean the one where you first curtailed the tower.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 03:45 PM

I agree, I should have taken the pictures at the same time of day. And after giving my eyeballs a break from it, I see that the grass is an awful pale green. Oh well. For $40.00, this is what you get from me. If I was given a week's salary to do it, I'd have redone it until it was perfect.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 03:58 PM

hehe, trust me, i know the feeling

dont like the grass, go with the 2nd one

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing