RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Adding Someone to a Photo

Old 01-10-2006, 10:38 AM

Adding Someone to a Photo

Hello Everyone:
I have a family photo and at this point I do not have permission to post it , may be able to get their permission to do so soon. I made a collage for a 70th birthday gift this past week. The family picture was taken a couple of years ago. The granddaughter in the photo was married in July and so the lady would like me to add the granddaughters new husband to their family picture.

I am going to give this a try , but I did want to pose a question to all of you about doing this task. I would like any suggestions that might help make this work look good. I understand it is like working in the dark without the picture but just general rules of thumb if there are any would be great. I know lighting is sometimes a problem shadows and things as well. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 03:53 PM

This type of retouching work is my least favorite. When adding people to photos, no matter how good you are as a retoucher, the artist (at least in my case) can always "see" where the person was added.

Some of the main issues are lighting, shadows, contrast differances, resoultion differances, background differances (is one party on a light background and the people needing to be added on a dark one)... Some of these problems can be compinsated for, however, matching is next to impossible... At least it has been for me. Customers always seem to give me photos where all of the above are issues, sigh.

I would advise to add as little of the people as possible, put them behind other and try to limit to head and sholders for the added subjects.

I would love to tell everyone who comes to me with this problem to "take a new photo", however that is not professionally polite... I do caution my cliets that the outcome is not going to be perfect. I hope this helps and good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 03:59 PM

Robin, I couldn't agree with you more. The group photo shot is a moment in time. To add a "new husband" to the group is, to me, tinkering with history and I've never seen good results.

Much better to take the group picture and create something new. Perhaps a montage of faces in vinettes and adding the "new hubby" to the family that way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 04:36 PM

I like this kind of stuff, because it's so hard to get it looking real
Keep your added person in it's own layer and once you get the position right, it's then time to change the persons image levels. Trying to get the image lighting and levels as near to the original image as possible, is the most important bit IMHO.
Quick example of 2 people put in to one image, can you guess which one is in the original ?

PS: It's a photo of my son, and I do only have one
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 05:50 PM

Tony Blair some times pops round for a pint and a smoke too
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 11:43 PM

Thanks Robin and Swampy. I might get lucky as the is family seated with the kids standing behind. I will only need to add a head and shoulder amount to be behind the wicker seat.

Chris personally I think Tony looks quite comfortable on that couch..nice job. Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2006, 12:32 PM

I am trying to add a person to a photo. Seems like the only way to do so is to clone them in? The color is just not matching , can someone give me some suggestions PLEASE??

NEB
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2006, 02:04 PM

It may not be possible for exact color match. There are just too many variables with different images. However, I would recommend trying to use the adjustment layers of color balance, levels, brightness/contrast and even Hue & Saturation to get close colors. Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2006, 05:15 PM

Thanks Robin:
I am going to try doing as you suggest. Now I would like to ask if cloning is the only way to put this person in the photo having not done this much before??? Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny
Thanks Robin:
I am going to try doing as you suggest. Now I would like to ask if cloning is the only way to put this person in the photo having not done this much before??? Neb
I've masked them, created a selection, and saved as a .psd. Then I can place them in a photo.

I'll post an example in a few minutes.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing