Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Help me please, with the actual MASKING part.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Help me please, with the actual MASKING part.

Originally Posted by mistermonday
"I simply converted the orig image to LAB and selected the B channel (most contrast) and duplicated it. Then using the Apply Image command, applied the B channel to itself in Overlay Mode. A simple levels adjust to boost the contrast and the mask was pretty well done. Like Ro, I painted away the blue in the edge hair. Regards, Murray"

I get the concept of what's going on here...trying to create as much contrast as possible to allow for distinct black and white areas in the image, to then allow for easy masking. But once you have the great contrasting image, how do you actually make it a mask? I understand masks and how they work, I just really get tripped up when actually trying to create one from a selection. Bear with me here, I'm a newbie! Thanks!!!
Edit/Delete Message
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi Ajava, There are a number of ways to create masks. If you click on the Channel Tab in Photoshop's Palette, you can right click on a layer and duplicate it - it then becomes an Alpha Channel which can be used as a mask.
You can also click on the sideways facing little triangle to the right of the Channels Tab in the Palette. When you click on it a context menu will appear and you can select New Channel to create a new blanck channel. You can paint with black or white or grey on that channel, or you can copy and paste into it from a layer in the same image or a layer in another image (as long as it is the exact same size). When you have what you want in the channel, hold the Ctrl Key down and click on it to activate it. The select the composite image, select the Layers Tab in the Palette. Select the layer you wish to add a mask to. Now at the bottom of the layers tab click on the button "Add Mask Layer".
Another method is to make a selection on a layer using any of PS many tools. Then click on the Add Mask Layer again and a mask will be added with your selection already defined in it.
If you would like to learn more about masks, there is a superb book called Photoshop Masking and Compositing by Katrin Eismann currently in its 3rd edition. And of course if you need any further help, just keep posting.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 09:15 PM
I think ajava is asking how to convert a greyscale image to a black and white mask, am I correct? Edit Now that i read it again I may be wrong..

Generally i use the lasso tool to easily select all the "inner" stuff and and then fill with black.. Then I use a brush to fill in the areas near the edges.. It depends on the image though.. Sometimes I use threshold on a high contrast greyscale image to conver to bw..

if you mean how to convert a high contrast bw layer to a mask.. if you hold the alt key and click a mask in the layers window (after you created a new mask) you can edit the mask.. You can copy and paste into this mask..

Last edited by delic; 01-22-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing