Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

extracting blond Hair for black background-destination

Old 02-10-2006, 01:58 AM

You are right .. it is one of the best ... and it was the first I tried ... but,
Originally Posted by Mig
....but this picture will never look good no matter what you do if you intend on putting it on a black background.
... that is exactly the point I was trying to make with my previous post ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 02:03 AM
Can't open the attachment on MIG's post. No problem with other attachments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Yeah, you're right Flora - this doesn't work and I don't bother with it when I see this problem.

One trick though, to get around the difficulty of selecting flyaway hair when all you want to do it change backgrounds is to cheat and and keep all the flyaway hair + the superfluous colour around it, and then when you switch backgrounds, then make sure the colours around the strands of hair are the same in the new background. I know this is common sense, but it's a good trick for those who are stubborn and want to try and select every last pixel of hair. It'll only drive them crazy.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 02:06 AM
The first thing I tried was the background eraser tool in Paintshop Pro. I did a couple of other easy tweaks after the BGE, but that's the main part. That's the first attachment--took about 10 minutes including tweaks.

For grins (or so I thought), I tried the defringing mask method, which took 45 minutes and there was some hand brushing (I hate it when that happens.) That's the second attachment.

Neither looks completely natural, but I think the BGE is a bit better-looking. Maybe some brushing in the hands of someone with artistic talent (not me) can help finish it off.

I did a third BGE version with a bit more aggressive erasing. The right side looks okay, but the left side looks a bit weird.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bge_version.jpg (85.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg double_mask_version.jpg (86.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg bge_aggressive.jpg (88.5 KB, 114 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 AM

first i would like to ask if there is any risk converting the ECI-RGB into LAB and back? i am afraid of it in case of loosing any information or pixel.

if there is no risk at all. i will follow your instruction

yes youre right. i think it willl never look real "good" but as compromise i would follow your instruction.

Mig: very good result, i will try that and eliminate the fly-around hairs by using some of the layers-option-palette menu (multiply or luminosity or whatever, i try)

thanks you all
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 02:32 AM

...any luck in downloading the pictures?

No problems here, but sometimes it happens to me too .... In these cases, I 'force' a total reload of the page (with Netscape is Crtl+Shift+R) and it ususally works ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 12:47 PM
A target reference

Hi everyone,

I've observed discussions on RetouchPRO for a while now. I've never had anything to contribute that hasn't already been mentioned by others in each thread until now. This isn't original but I think it's a good reminder:

Pure, try to refer to a similar image; give yourself a target. Look for a model shot against a black background and lit in a similar fashion. It's so obvious to consider (and accordingly, very easy to forget when you're in a pinch,) but it's impossible to undervalue how an ideal picture gives you a goal to aim for in your retouching. You'll know what doesn't look real because you'll have a concrete example for comparison. You won't need to rely on imagination or vague memory.

We're all sensitive to human features that "just don't look right." We can all keep working through trial and error to make our retouching look better. Of course it's best to know exactly what we're aiming for when we need to maintain realism.

I hope this helps. And Pure, I hope you come up with the result you need in time! Good luck!

PS. The RetouchPRO community is full of genius! I've learned a lot. Thanks to the mods and all the contributors. I hope to be a part of more discussions in the future.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Hi Pure,
There is no visible loss in converting to LAB and back. Mathematically there may be a tiny quantizing error but it is not noticeable.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi there, Rydiant! Welcome to RetouchPRO

You quite right of course.
Sometimes we get so carried away with the intricacies of channel blending that we forget to look where we're going - good reality check!

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi Rydiant!

Welcome to RP from me too!!

Thank you so much for the great tip!!! As Rô said, we tend to get 'carried away' ... so, it's a brilliant idea to keep an image of reality for quick comparison!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing