RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Moving selections to a new background

Old 05-06-2006, 06:12 AM

bk..I wonder why you are wanting to put them on a different background? I like the real scene very much. It is as it was!!

a suggestion..why not leave it as is and blur the background some to have the lovely couple just stand out a bit from it. I like the origional. Just me I guess..like to keep things real I guess!! Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2006, 06:14 AM

Daviskw, forgot to say what you did is very nice. Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2006, 06:29 PM

Everyone is so helpful on this website!!

to nebgranny:
I am making a print of the couple in church with a soft white vignette around them (see attachment), but I also wanted to have them on a different background. In addition, I am practicing my skills for a number of other pictures for my daughter's wedding in September. A few of the grandparents' wedding pictures include the whole wedding party, so I have to separate the newlyweds from the others.

to daviskw:
The shadows really ground them; very nice job. I just don't know where to put my shadows or how short/long to make them. Can you give me some ideas on making shadows seem real?

Thanks to all for your input.

Bernie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vignette 1 JPG.jpg (96.6 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2006, 11:58 PM

Hi Bernie

The shadow length is up to you. Just imagine where the lights are located or the time of day and sun angle. Then you can get a good idea how long shadows should be. Unless the sun is close to overhead, I make two selections of the subjects. Then fill one with a dark gray, set the opacity to around 75 percent and the blendmode to multiply. Then I use free transform to move the shadow to where it looks right.

I’ll often add a mask and gradient to the shadow layer to keep it sharp close to the subject and fade as it moves away by applying some gaussian blur.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2006, 09:40 AM

Hi Bernie.

I’m not really sure if I improved this?
I merged the two pictures together. I used the floor and shadows from the original and blended in the background.
I also added a layer set to colour to remove the colour casts from the original.

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Sue&Tom3--original.jpg (97.8 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2006, 09:50 AM

Butch,
Thanks for the shadowing info; it helps! I just need to keep working at it.

Ken,
Your picture does ground them more. My attempt really had them floating. Thanks.

Bernie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviskw
Hi Bernie

The shadow length is up to you. Just imagine where the lights are located or the time of day and sun angle. Then you can get a good idea how long shadows should be. Unless the sun is close to overhead, I make two selections of the subjects. Then fill one with a dark gray, set the opacity to around 75 percent and the blendmode to multiply. Then I use free transform to move the shadow to where it looks right.

I’ll often add a mask and gradient to the shadow layer to keep it sharp close to the subject and fade as it moves away by applying some gaussian blur.

Butch
Excellent job on your shadows! The only added tip is if you use the lens blur filter and base the focal length on the mask, then the shadow becoming gradually more blurry with distance is a bit more realistic.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2006, 04:13 PM

To: the 'shadow experts' out there

I have tried playing with the shadows, but don't know how to 'bend' the woman's shadow on the left side, like Butch did. Here is my attempt.

Thanks.

Bernie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sue&Tom3 JPG2.jpg (86.6 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkpoltis
I have tried playing with the shadows, but don't know how to 'bend' the woman's shadow on the left side, like Butch did. Here is my attempt.

Thanks.

Bernie
After you warp the shadow down onto the horizontal surface, then select just the part that needs to be bent vertical again and do ctrl-t (free transform) and transform that part back up again.

I decided to have a go at it. I re-extracted them from the original so I could remove the strong-bluish halo caused by the bright backlight. I also re-color-balanced them based on his shirt being white.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg couple_arm_in_arm.jpg (81.5 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2006, 10:35 PM

Bart,

Looks great! I think that color balancing on the white shirt really made a difference, also. I am still working on the bent shadow.

Bernie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing