RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Moving selections to a new background

Old 05-05-2006, 12:09 PM

Cool Moving selections to a new background

I am an amateur and use Photoshop for pictures for my family, friends, and relatives. My friends recently got married and I selected their picture from the church scene and moved them to another background. I like the background with them in it, but it looks like my friends are ‘floating’ to heaven.

I would appreciate any hints/tips for ‘grounding’ people when one moves them to another background.

Bernie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sue&Tom3 JPG.jpg (99.9 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 12:35 PM

It would help if we could see the original. It looks like they were standing on different levels (perhaps steps?). If this is the case, you might be able to compensate for that difference in elevation with some flat garden rocks cloned from another picture? Or use the "floor" of the original.

I did this real fast, and it's not a "finished product", but I wanted to illustrate how it might be fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sue&Tom4-JPG.jpg (57.3 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Swampy; 05-05-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 12:51 PM

Lightbulb re

It is because of bad shadow. Make it stronger and left from he couple. See the sadow of flowers. Also give som more light to their boday and face!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of putting rocks or something else under their feet. I am not sure how to do the lighting.

I looked at the original. They are not on steps. Attached is the original.

Bernie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sue&Tom3 -original.jpg (89.3 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 06:13 PM

swampy has the right of it. if you look at my attached image you'll see from the top horizontal line i drew through the couple that they are both the same relative distance from the camera. therefore, all others parts of their bodies shld be as well, with only slight differences. however, when you look at their feet this is not the case.

the next horizontal line, the one directly under her feet RELATIVE TO HIS FEET seem to say that her feet are further back or up from his. his are more forward or down from hers. this translates into a perception of a difference of distance from the camera.

additionally, his right leg has what seems to be a bit of a bend in it, raising it up a bit, so it looks to be slightly floating also. yet, his left leg is the only one in the group that seems to be fully grounded because it's more forward or lower or closer in the foreground.

so this is all basically a matter of perception. if you want to change it you have to either shorten his leg or lengthen hers. or, if this was done during the extraction somehow, then do it over or, like swampy said, if they were on steps then include the steps in the extraction.

off hand, his legs look a bit odd anyways, and i suspect something occurred when you did the extraction. his upper leg looks longer than it shld be while his lower looks shorter. so, i'd check over my extraction technique.

i'd also be interested in seeing the original.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sue&Tom3 JPG-1-k-1.jpg (95.3 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 06:19 PM

Even looking at the original, it just doesn't seem "right". His shoulders are square, but it appears his lower body is turned slightly to his right.

Also, in looking at the original. There are soles on her shoes that tend to "ground" her, but you've erased them to the point that she almost looks bare footed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 06:31 PM

ok, thanks for the original.

and again, as swampy points out... no soles. study my attached here and you shld be able to spot what's wrong ( i purposely left one part out to show you)

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sue&Tom3-2-k-1.jpg (96.7 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 06:49 PM

Putting the area under their feet really does ground them. I will have to work on my selection again and put something under their feet that jives with the background. Also I think if I can add shadowing, it will help a lot. I have tried the shadowing, using a video clip from the NAPP website, but am having a hard time with it.

Thanks for everyone's help. When I get a good product, I will post it.

Bernie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Patron

Before you extract the couple from the original background you can use the Edit > Transform > Warp in PS-CS2 to correct the perspective so that the Lady's feet are level with the Gentleman's.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 11:34 PM

Doesn't look to bad this way.... but this is not my strong suit.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sue&Tom3-JPG.jpg (99.9 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 05-06-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing