RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Caged Animal

Old 05-23-2006, 04:52 AM

Caged Animal

Hi there,
This is my first post here as I feel I need a little advice. I have been using the clone tool on this picture to edit the bars away, I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on other methods to use?

I find when using the clone tool that it can sometimes look a little un-natural, is there a way around this?

Regards
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiger1.jpg (100.0 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 06:05 AM

The easiest thing on the grass would be to use the pattern stamp tool (in photoshop it is hiding under the healing brush tool). Make sure your stamp tool is set to Source. Simply circle a section of the bar over the grass. Then move that bar to a clean part of the grass with similar color and lighting.

You could try using it on the tiger as well but you would have to still use the clone tool. I tried a few spots where I just circled one small area of the same color on the tiger and dragged to a clean spot. It has lessened the bar, but I still need to clean up the area some more via cloning.

I'm sure more experieinced people will also offer suggestions for you to try. At least this quickly gets rid of the bar areas over the grass so you can spend more time focusing on the tiger.

Good luck,

Kerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tigergrass.jpg (98.1 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by irshgrlkc; 05-23-2006 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 06:39 AM

Thanks, the grass was the bit I was dreading the most lol.. looks like you saved me some time there

I will give it a go now, thanks for the advice

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 07:14 AM

Usually the grass is to feared the least Dave, there is plenty of it in the image to use as reference and also an easy comodity to come by. The subject matter be it a person or animal is the focus of viewers attention and requires a more careful approach to get the right textures and colors for the clone/healing. Small steps though a bit a t atime and you will do fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 07:41 AM

Yeah I think your right Creed, the grass just looked like a much more complex pattern and I guess I didnt look at the big picture...

this is what I have so far
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiger1.jpg (99.9 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 09:07 AM

Ok I think im finished, any comments on how I can make it any better would be appreciated.

I did two versions of the final picture... one is with the original lightning and the other I adjusted the saturation a little to bring the colour out some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiger1.jpg (98.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg tiger2.jpg (99.6 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 10:02 AM

Hi Dave,

welcome to RP!

Great tip from Kerry and a very important one from creeduk!!

The main subject in a picture is always what deserves the greater attention.

You did a very good job in your restoration!!

Just a couple of things ... The dark edge-line on the right (my right) of the tiger , and some 'soft' spots where you lost some texture, probably, due to cloning ...

I don't know which version of Photoshop (if Photoshop at all) you are using...

If you have the Healing Brush Option I'd advise to get familiar with it because, along with all the rest, it 'copies' the texture as well and blends everything wery well in on the 'new' spot ...

I used it as a pattern for the grass and sampling from source for the tiger ... I usually use it in 'Replace' Mode first and change to 'Normal' later to better blend in the corrections I've made ...

For the right side (my right) of the tiger's face I used the 'copy-paste-flip' technique ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_tiger1.jpg (98.4 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 10:13 AM

Dave,

You appear to be coming along quite well. I really like your work on the tiger's body.

You might want to think about finding a similar picture of a tiger where you can copy the edge of the face and mask in what you need to recreate the edge of your tiger. It's hard to recreate an edge when you're not exactly sure what is hiding behind the bar. I did a really quick (and needs so much more work) version as an example. The first pic is the similar one I found and the second one shows your tiger with the new edges masked in.

Please note that the pic I borrowed for the tiger's edge is copyrighted (I found it doing a Google search) so you may want to do another search for a non-copyrighted image depending on your planned use of your photo.

I'm on my way to work now, so I'll check back later.

Kerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TigerSource.jpg (84.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg TigerEdged.jpg (93.1 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the comments and advice I used the clone tool and the healing brush, I was just trying out the different tools to see which gave the best result.

I admit the right hand side of the picture (left side of the tigers face) I found quite challenging as there was nothing to work with hehe... it never came to me to copy the other side of the tigers face

I am using photoshop cs atm, fantastic tool.

I will have another go and see what I can do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 12:46 PM

Ok I took your advise Flora and copied and flipped and im quite impressed and it looks alot better, I didnt put much thought to it untill you pointed it out

This place is loaded with friendly people and useful advise, I think I have found a new home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiger4.jpg (98.3 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing