RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

How to isolate a background?

Old 06-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Girl Mask

Gerald, I took a crack at masking the little girl. I went to channels, sel the blue, copied, applied high pass filter and used black and white paint to make the sel. Usually I want as hi-rez image as I can get, but this is a fast result. I can always use the practice anyway. Any background now can be added, as the mask is independant and on its own layer. Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl mask.jpg (21.2 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 02:45 PM

Hi

As in the example above it is easy to just add a picture or background or add a tone then add a mask to the fill layer and paint the altered or new background in. The background example i am posting is not a very good one but I did it in just a few minutes to show how easy it is to do. Rather than a background it could be any picture you want to insert

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunrise1.jpg (97.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Sunrise1108.jpg (95.0 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 06-19-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 11:26 PM

I appreaciated everyone help in helping me to learn to isolate a background. Now I can put some of this information together and design my own background.
Thanks, Robcetscientist, SteveB2005, and Daviskw. Daviskw your background was pretty cool. How did you add the shadows in for the cart and the little girl?

Gerald McClaren

Last edited by Gerald McClaren; 06-19-2006 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Misspelled names
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 11:32 PM

Hi there

In painting the background in on a mask all I had to do was crtl click the mask... inverse then click back on the picture and use <Ctrl><J > to put the girl and chair on another layer at the top of the pallet. Then I copied that layer so I had two girls and chairs. I clicked on the bottom girl and chair and Ctrl clicked to activeate the selection then filled with a dark gray. Changed the mode to Multiply... reduced its opacity to 75 percent... added a little gaussian blur. Then with free transform I warped the layer making the shadow.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2006, 09:24 AM

Hi,

Gerald,

like for everything else, there are a lot of ways to isolate a background or the subject of a picture in PS ....

For your picture I did the following:
  • Selected the 'Magic Wand'
  • Selected the 'Add to Selection' button (a little + sign will appear close to the Wand)
  • Decreased the Wand's Tolerance to 15
  • Clicked repeatedly on the different gradations of the background until I had nearly covered it all
    (Attachment 1)
Most of the times, after a rough selection, you'll have to 'refine' your mask to select precisely what you want ... that's what I did here:
  • Pressed the Q key (or Shift+Q) or click on the Quick Mask Button on your Tools' Palette to enter the Quick Mask Mode.
  • Made sure I had Black and White as Fore/Background colours,
  • Selected a brush (75% Hardness)
  • Painted Black (in the Quick Mask mode Black=Red) over the parts I wanted to keep unchanged (the little girl, the table)
  • Painted White (in the Quick Mask mode White=Transparent) on the parts I wanted to correct/Change .. (Background)
    (Attachment 2)

When your mask has been refined, press the Q key (or Shift+Q) again or click on the Edit in Standard Mode button on your Tools' Palette to go back to your 'Normal' editing Mode .... The 'marching ants' will be around your refined selection and you can now save this selection for future use by clicking on Select>Save Selection.

My saved Mask and what the selection looked like in (Attachment 3)

(Attachment 4) shows the results I got on the background using different types of Adjustment Layers (always working with the selection still active>marching ants around it)

If you wish to completely eliminate/change the background instead of working on it, then, with the selection active, press Ctrl+Shift+I to invert the selection (this way the little girl and the table will remain), and insert your new background directly underneath.

(Attachment 5) shows a complete change of background.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-029.jpg (80.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-023.jpg (66.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-026.jpg (54.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-028.jpg (86.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg F_img008-6-10finalgm.jpg (98.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Flora; 06-20-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 AM

Butch,

just a small detail... ... If you look at the shadows in the 'original', you'll notice that the light source comes from the top right (my top right) of the little girl ...

Your shadow should be much lower and go in the opposite direction ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2006, 03:16 AM

Flora, thanks for taking the time to write out the instructions on the different ways to isolate a background. I'm definately going to keep a copy of this for future reference. The instructions and photo really give a lot of info. Thanks for your time and patient.

Gerald McClaren

Last edited by Gerald McClaren; 06-22-2006 at 03:17 AM. Reason: misspelled words
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2006, 09:21 AM

Thanks Flora...but I must say, my world is always a little backward...

Detail... funny how some easily see important details and others never do...lol Maybe experience will help in say 100 years or so.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2006, 06:10 PM

You are welcome Gerald!!

So glad you found my description helpful!!

Butch,

to tell you the truth, I only noticed it while working on the picture myself!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing