RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

How to isolate a background?

Old 06-16-2006, 05:43 PM

I would like to know how can I isolate a background. I had colored a black and white photo but the background is faded badly, so I would like to add a little sepia tone to the background. How can I isolate this background and add a sepia tone to it.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 07:39 PM

And leave the rest black & white? Curious combination, Gerald.
However, toning specific parts of an image, sepia in this case, is easy in Photoshop 8:

First make a copy. Work on the copy. Not the original.
Then 1) select with the magic wand which parts of the image you want to tone, then 2) go to image–>adjustments–>photo filter..., choose 'sepia' from the drop-down menu and click OK . . .
(You can also set the desired density and whether or not to preserve luminosity).
That's all there is to it.

Have fun.

Here's a (very) quick & dirty demo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q&DcoloringDemoCHvH&JvH1945.jpg (99.3 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 11:32 PM

How isolate a background?

Ok, Rokcetscientist, maybe I didn't explained myself very clear. Here's the problem, I have a black and white photo that was given to me by my neighbor. I didn't color the background because it was faded very badly and I could not make out anything out. So, I only colored his mother in the photo and left the background as is. Now, the background is black and white with the mother in color. I didn't want to make a new background for her, instead I wanted to add a little sepia tone to her background. How can I add that sepia tone to this background without affecting her in the foreground. I had tried the magic wand tool but when I clicked in the background the marching ants covered the mother in the photo instead of the background. I appreaciate your help. Thanks.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 01:06 AM

Not sure if something like this is what you are looking for. If so just stamp a layer, subtract a little blue and add some red then use a hide all mask and paint out what you dont want with a soft brush.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleed-sample.jpg (99.8 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 06-17-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 01:10 AM

Nice Butch. Also, the magic wand isn't very sophisticated. You might have more success using the Extract Tool on the subject and then inverting to pick out the background.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 04:08 AM

Masking is the way to go...

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161090
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McClaren
[...] I had tried the magic wand tool but when I clicked in the background the marching ants covered the mother in the photo instead of the background.
Click on the magic wand, look at the bar directly under the menubar. It says "Tolerance" and a value. Change that value to "15". Click in the background. Marching ants running into the foreground? Then undo, insert a lower value and try again until it's not running into the foreground anymore. Need more of the background covered? Click the background at several places, holding Shift. Until you have marching ants everywhere that you want to apply the sepia filter to.

Have fun
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 08:23 AM

Im not quite sure what you mean ?. But at a guess it just sounds like you need a selection.
Just select the background with the lasso tool. Sometimes theres no easy way to do it ie magic wand, and you will have to manually trace around the area you want to colour.
I make 99 percent of my selections with the lasso tool so its a good tool to get that hang of. Sometimes when things are a similar tone if your lucky you can start with the magic wand but you will almost always have to tidy the selection edges up manually with the lasso tool anyways.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 11:27 AM

Here is the photo of the background I'm trying to isolate and add some sepia tone. I don't want to leave the background in black and white. I just want to add some color to it. Or maybe make a new background for it. I don't know which would be the better way.

Gerald McClaren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img008 6-10finalgm.jpg (67.1 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 01:05 PM

OK, so here are 2 variations:
one with a 25% sepia background and the other with 100%.
A simple matter of selecting with the magic wand and then applying image–>adjustments–>photo filter–>sepia (in PS8).
But you can get it in green too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img008 6-10finalgm-25%sepia.jpg (96.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg img008 6-10finalgm-100%sepia.jpg (89.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by RokcetScientist; 06-19-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing