RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Tutorial For ?

Old 06-28-2006, 07:35 AM

Tutorial For ?

I thought once I saw a tutorial on how to make a person in a photo look thinner . Does anyone know if this was indeed a post and if so direct me to it please ? Thanks Neb
Old 06-28-2006, 10:06 AM

Careful use of the liquify tool in Photoshop is one way.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:51 AM

Hi nebgranny

While we are waiting for someone that really knows what they are doing to point you in the right direction, maybe we can just talk. Just for myself I have thinned a few photos and used the following;

I start off, if the picture allows it, by compressing the horizontal value of the picture a few percent. No more than 5 percent at most or it becomes quickly noticeable.

Making someone look younger for some reason seems to make him or her thinner so I remove a few wrinkles and skin blemishes.

Subtle hair changes can make a big difference, a fuller or thinner hair or how it lays against and how far from the body all changes the perception of weight.

I remove or lessen obvious indications of weight such as double or chubby chins and love handles. I mostly just reduce or remove shadow, maybe I push a little with the liquify tool, or clone if necessary.

How clothing fits or hangs should be closely looked at and changed if needed. Again a little cloning or adding or removing a shadow will make a big difference and lessen bulges.

It is fairly easy to thin thighs and skin underarms and such by selecting with a lasso making a copy… moving in slightly then cloning over the old background.

Tummies that bulge out can be a real problem but careful use of the pinch tool in the liquify command can do wonders there.

To me the bottom line is make small subtle changes if people know the person you are thinning. It is amazing how people just know they look better but can’t put their finger on why… you will have done a good job.

Butch

Last edited by Daviskw; 06-28-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 AM

Thank you both for the replys. I apologize for thr delay in responding. I know nothing about the liquify tool swampy and also nothing about the compressing Butch. The photo I have has other folks in it as well and just need to do the fella sitting in front as he has lost 50 pounds since it was taken. Why not take a new picture you might say..well it is a good picture of all her kids and there are 5 of them in the photo. Thanks so very much . Neb ...
Old 06-29-2006, 08:20 AM

Hi nebgranny

The liquify filter is fun to play with, just use big brushes and make small changes at a time.

By compressing I mean just reduce the width while leaving the height alone. Say the width is 1500 pixels, be sure constrain proportions is Not checked then change the width to say 1425 pixels.

Butch
Old 06-29-2006, 09:39 AM

Thank you for the reply. I am going to try to play with them after a little bit here. This picture means a lot to my friend as it is very good of all her kids. Neb

She likes it just the way it is , but everytime her son sees it he has a fit I think..
Old 06-29-2006, 12:52 PM

You would not believe what I came up with with the liquify tool..tee hee .. he now looks like an alien!!! Looks like using this tool needs a lot of proctice ...at least for me..what fun..but sure not good at it!! Neb

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing