RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Help needed - PSP 8 Masks

Old 07-24-2006, 07:59 PM

Help needed - PSP 8 Masks

Hi all - I am new to Retouch PRO and this is my first post so apologies if I am asking the wrong question in the wrong part of the forum !?
I am keen to improve my retouching skills and have progressed well in some areas and poorly in others.
Using PSP 8 at present - what I have - and cannot really figure out how to use Layer Masks effectively. I can duplicate / add an adjustment mask / split to HSL but it stops about there.
I have seen an excellent tutorial by Vikki Hansen on this forum with exactly what I am keen to learn but this was for Photoshop and I can't quite translate it into Paintshop 8.
I have a photo of a daughter on a very cold day with a typical 'red nose' and what I would like to do is
- duplicate layer and adjust colour of nose (clone or other technique)
- put a mask on top and...
- paint the nose area only so that it comes through in the layers

I have tried to locate a suitable tutorial by google search (where I found Retouch PRO!) but am yet to find any that simplify this workflow enough for me to follow it. The photo is a beauty except for the 'rudolph effect' as my daughter calls it.

Would be grateful for some clear advice on this or redirection to a suitable tutorial.

Thanks
richard57
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 AM

Hi Richard,

I'm an Adobe Photoshop user so I wouldn't be too much help on how to do Photoshop things in PaintShopPro, but I did find a website that has a bunch of tutorials for PaintShopPro (including version 8).

You can find it here (the version 8 tutorials are further down the page).

Another great source for tutorials that you might try is Pixel2Life

Good Luck,

Kerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard57
Hi all - I am new to Retouch PRO and this is my first post so apologies if I am asking the wrong question in the wrong part of the forum !?
I am keen to improve my retouching skills and have progressed well in some areas and poorly in others.
Using PSP 8 at present - what I have - and cannot really figure out how to use Layer Masks effectively. I can duplicate / add an adjustment mask / split to HSL but it stops about there.
I have seen an excellent tutorial by Vikki Hansen on this forum with exactly what I am keen to learn but this was for Photoshop and I can't quite translate it into Paintshop 8.
I have a photo of a daughter on a very cold day with a typical 'red nose' and what I would like to do is
- duplicate layer and adjust colour of nose (clone or other technique)
- put a mask on top and...
- paint the nose area only so that it comes through in the layers

I have tried to locate a suitable tutorial by google search (where I found Retouch PRO!) but am yet to find any that simplify this workflow enough for me to follow it. The photo is a beauty except for the 'rudolph effect' as my daughter calls it.

Would be grateful for some clear advice on this or redirection to a suitable tutorial.

Thanks
richard57

You can use other tools for skin retouching.
For example select area using free hand selection with feathering and then apply filter "Manual color correction" menu Adjust->Color Balance->Manula color correction.
Set "Preset target color" list to "SkinTones" item
Select desirable tone and press OK.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 PM

PSP 8 Mask query

Thanks to irshgrlkc and Dm_Cher for replying. Somewhere in digging through the links provided I found an answer !!
What I have never understood in PSP (until finding the right tutorial) was that whilst you can paint ajdustment layers in PSP (with black or white depending on whether you want to hide / reveal etc... ) you do NOT actually see the paint going onto the layer - only the result of masking or revealing!? IF you hover your mouse over the layer descriptor (r.h.s. box) it shows what you have painted in a small floating pic !!
Light bulbs go on and new horizons call - lots that I have wanted to do but not been able to figure out how now becomes possible!!

Thanks for replying
richard
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing