RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Your best masking techniques.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:23 PM

Re: Your best masking techniques.

In this case there was quite good contrast, and the extract tool did a passable job, needed a little hand touching with eraser and history brush, but whole job only took about 5 mins.

Of course if getting in really close, a clipping path will be the route of choice because of the crisper edge definition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yachtmaster copy.jpg (91.1 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2006, 07:41 PM

Pomeranian--you guys all did great

Well I didn't challenge you guys at all--nice work one and all. Okay, I'll have to dig up something more difficult.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Got it something like, then adjusted the mask using levels.
now that's an interesting idea, gary. i sometimes blur the masks but hadnt thought that much about using adjustment layers on them. good tip!

bart,

we've had some wild challenges like this in the past. it's one of those areas that i wish psp did a better job of. i did notice when i was working on this image that psp xi has changed some things in the magic wand, so going to have to study that a bit more. it's always struck me a bit odd that the human eye can discern the differences necessary but that the graphic editors cant seem to very well. ah well, gives the coders something to work on, i suppose

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
we've had some wild challenges like this in the past. it's one of those areas that i wish psp did a better job of. i did notice when i was working on this image that psp xi has changed some things in the magic wand, so going to have to study that a bit more. it's always struck me a bit odd that the human eye can discern the differences necessary but that the graphic editors cant seem to very well. ah well, gives the coders something to work on, i suppose

craig
Hi Craig,

Two reasons for this. 1) you (your brain) interpolates to find patterns where none exist, 2) not only can you see the boundary between color changes, but you can also see the boundary between texture changes.

In both of these cases, I just get a stipple brush and create the boundary I think I see in my mind's eye.

Photoshop is very productive for multistep extractions like this--the UI seems really geared for effortless manipulation of masks and selections and conversions between paths/selections/masks.

As for PSPXI, I was put off by the fact that the levels adjust tool has had the output slider removed--something I use quite a lot.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 01:00 PM

bart,

yes, and the mind plays tricks at times but yes. i think it also may be a flaw in the entire digital system, at least the rgb system. this is something i've been studying recently and havent fully grasped yet. it's somewhat an inherited system from a time when computers were much more limited. it's probably also why LAB came about; someone else felt the same way, apparently. it's a bit limited that we divide the entire light spectrum into only rgb; why not rgbcmyk...or even more? i'll work on it

as for the levels tool, i noticed but wasnt concerned. i actually use levels a lot less than most here. and they did add white/black/gray points to it. i suppose that was their solution to the output part. but yes, in general, i hate when they take away a favorite function. you could always put it back, you know. there is that customization feature in psp. i've added back quite a few things.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
bart,

yes, and the mind plays tricks at times but yes. i think it also may be a flaw in the entire digital system, at least the rgb system. this is something i've been studying recently and havent fully grasped yet. it's somewhat an inherited system from a time when computers were much more limited. it's probably also why LAB came about; someone else felt the same way, apparently. it's a bit limited that we divide the entire light spectrum into only rgb; why not rgbcmyk...or even more? i'll work on it
The interpolation or extrapolation I'm talking about arises from our knowledge of how something should look--this is knowledge the computer doesn't have. So it's really psychological. Color space won't help here. What you'd need is for photoshop to be able to look at a photo and actually recognize things--there's a rock, there's a person, there's an eye, there's some hair, etc..

I think a better form of image compression would actually be helpful--jpeg tends to make a blocky mess of color. Jpeg2000 is a lot nicer in this regard. Don't know how long it'll be before the world starts using that instead of jpeg.

Quote:
as for the levels tool, i noticed but wasnt concerned. i actually use levels a lot less than most here. and they did add white/black/gray points to it. i suppose that was their solution to the output part. but yes, in general, i hate when they take away a favorite function. you could always put it back, you know. there is that customization feature in psp. i've added back quite a few things.

craig
The white/black/grey points is useful, but PSP already had that capability in a separate tool (with similar name.) In fact the white/black/grey points tool in the adjustment layers is a limited version of the older tool.

That output slider on the levels adjust is totally gone--can't be added back. I actually submitted it as a bug to Corel because there's a blank area in the dialog box where it looks like the slider should go. At least they added a histogram to the levels and curves.

The other handy feature that was dropped was you can no longer use the eyedropper to place points on the curve in the curves tool.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ying
I have a question: What if you need to extract a grey object from grey background?

I had to do this type of work a while ago and ended up creating custom clipping paths, which took forever to draw and adjust!

Attached is an example:
I this case magnetic lasso and then polygonal lasso do a fairly good job, 5 min tops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yachtmaster_F1.jpg (79.6 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by pavel123; 10-09-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 04:11 PM

Used red channel, levels to increase contrast, brushes, another level correction, convert to selection, copied to a separate layer, eraser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doggie.jpg (97.2 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 07:06 PM

Here's another different type of extraction

Extract the dead tree in the foreground. I'll post my result later after I get home and have a chance to work on it. This one would mainly be a combination of BGE and polygonal lasso for me--no shortcuts I can think of. Tell us your clever shortcuts! Maybe the saturation channel might have some info since the dead tree is pretty much colorless whereas the background has color.

http://www.pbase.com/zumbari/image/6...1/original.jpg

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 10:04 PM

Man Bart... what a pain!!!

Well... I started with a red channel copy...levels... then I kept both the red copy and the RGB on screen... then just painted with black and white where needed... slowwww

Maybe some one has a better way.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1PxjNgYv9DNb3uawNZxh7KHvvnZ.jpg (99.4 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing