RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Your best masking techniques.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:47 AM

Re: Your best masking techniques.

Hi Bart

I get pretty good results the way I do it but it is a slow procedure. I'd like to give BGE a try.

You said you could use alpha channels. How do you use them? I can't get them to work with BGE.

If you are using the color to sample I guess you are working on a RGB layer and not a channel.... How and when do you combine them?

How does it work when you have a multicolored background?.. do you need to keep resampling at each color transition?

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviskw
Hi Bart

I get pretty good results the way I do it but it is a slow procedure. I'd like to give BGE a try.

You said you could use alpha channels. How do you use them? I can't get them to work with BGE.

If you are using the color to sample I guess you are working on a RGB layer and not a channel.... How and when do you combine them?

How does it work when you have a multicolored background?.. do you need to keep resampling at each color transition?

Butch
Hi Butch,

You can import an alpha channel into the extract filter which is a separate tool.

The BGE samples from the color channels and then selectively erases them (ie., alters the alpha channel). The BGE also changes the color values to de-mix background color from foreground color in semi-transparent fringe areas.

If the background is multicolored, then you would have to keep resampling in which case setting the BGE to continuous sampling might be better. In the Mimosa example, the background is multicolored, but there are only a few different colors and since I need to erase deep within the object and the BG colors are varying even inside the flower, I don't use continuous sampling.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 09:54 AM

Wow, learn something new every day, have never used the Background Eraser
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 02:17 PM

bart,

ok, i tried again last night, before reading your post with the tut link. i worked it and changed settings and by the time i was getting somewhat decent results, i was actually fairly close to what you posted about what settings to use. so, when i read that post today, i tried again with your settings and get even better results.

however, it's still too rough to post my results but, it is better and i believe now i can see the potential. i couldnt even see that before. so, this was definitely a case of 'operator error' in my long ago attempts at using this tool.

i havent a lot of time right now to refine the technique, but at least i'll know where to pick up later on when i do need to get it better. so, thanks! and thanks for the tut link. looks comprehensive.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2006, 07:28 PM

Post Re: Your best masking techniques and More Masking

Keywords: extracting, extraction, hair, animal
Hi!!

I read this thread and I found it very interesting!! Mask are a great to compositing.

I had seem a thread on how to remove a hairy object. This is the link:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/rp-...ght=extracting

I had also worked on an image with this kind of hair problem to which Gary, a very nice and helpful guy, gave me some information on how to do it without being time-conscious! Thanx again Gary!

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/ima...t=extract+hair

I recently was looking at an image that is a challenge for me as I am starting to experiment with the channels. I have used the RGB channels but I have not played with the LAB or any of the others.

I would work on it when I have time but in the mean time I am posting it in case someone wants to start breaking the challenge. I had noticed that as I look for the right channel some parts of the objects are either toooo light or toooo dark or even transparent. Let me know what you think. Again, I am not expert on the channel extraction but I would like to hear what you guys think.

The image has poor quality and resolution but I was not intented for work.

Take care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glass-sculpture.jpg (99.8 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2006, 08:23 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Wink Re: Your best masking techniques.

Donamai, if you come up with a higher-res version of that image, I'll give it a go. No point working off a pic with all those artifacts and blown-out areas--we need to give the masking apps the most data possible to work with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2006, 08:30 PM

Followed the method I've used in the previous examples: namely, background eraser with tolerance around 30%, in combination with masked multiply and screen layers (a la three mask method.) About 10 minutes--the low jpeg quality is a hindrance to getting good quality so I didn't spend any time cleaning some leftover ceiling texture.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glass-sculpture_white.jpg (62.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Glass-sculpture_black.jpg (67.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Glass-sculpture_rainbow.jpg (82.6 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2006, 09:40 PM

i dont know much about channel extracting. i always use rgb.

i had to give your glass sculpture a try. this was a good image to practice on with the bge. i'm getting a bit better with it. i did find i had to follow up the bge with a normal erase and then a bit of push here and there. i'm still trying to refine my settings. currently, i seem to leave a lot of small dots behind and have to follow up with some cleanup. so, this was not a short job.

cool sculpture!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glass-sculpture-1-k-1.jpg (92.6 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2006, 10:36 PM

Post Re: Your best masking techniques and more!

Hi

Sorry I had no better resolution image than that. My friend took a shot of it and used the smallest setting for his camera.
That is the only shot I had. I found it interesting because there were different colors in it and the outlines were different. I really like that picture of the sculpture but I can't fix the resolution it is bad.

Sorry about the resolution PLUGSNPIXELS but I went online and found some images you might have a go at.

Great job Bart and Kraellin.. nice job!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chihuly.jpg (99.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg chihuly_24_040304.jpg (97.7 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2006, 10:54 PM

Craig, spectacular job!

Just want to point out that mid-grey is, in general, the least demanding plain color--especially in this case where the original BG is grey. To really stress an extraction, pick a BG color as different from the original as possible for the acid test (black and white are good as are fully saturated primaries.)

Bart
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing