RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

3 Steps to a Perfect Studio Backdrop

Old 02-10-2005, 11:33 AM

Select the gradient tool ... then if you look up at the top of the screen you will see several boxes with gradient options in them. The second one from the left is the radial gradient.

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2005, 11:41 AM

Hi Melv, there's no stupid questions here. Chances are others didn't understand the description either so you are helping them in the process. That's always a good thing here.

Ok, lets try to clear it up a bit. In step 1, you open a blank canvas in the size and resolution you need. (see, I had left that little bit out so it was confusing)

Now you should make sure you are in the default colors of white on top and black below in your foreground/background colors. These are the default colors.

Select the gradient tool in the tool palette and set it to the circular (radial) gradient. Select a point in the center of your canvas or a bit off center if you prefer and drag the line outward. This should leave you with a light circular center and a dark outer rim on your canvas. (If not just flip your foreground and background colors and try again)

Now go to your forground and background colors and choose two colors of your choice. I recommend a light color and a darker color to create contrast.
Go to your filter drop down and choose Render > Clouds

That will create clouds that totally obliterate your previous gradient so to allow the gradient to show through you need to lesson the opacity of clouds. You do this by going to Edit > Fade Clouds and adjust the slider way back until you get amount of gradient vs colored clouds that you prefer.

Let me know if that helps clarify things better for you. Good luck.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2005, 08:18 AM

OK thank you for that explanation, you say open a new canvas in the size and resolution you need. How do I know this? Is it the same size as the image I will be using or larger?
Thanks for your help.
Melv
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2005, 08:27 AM

Also when done how do I get an image into it (Or vice versa) so this becomes the background.
Melv
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2005, 09:06 AM

Melv,

One way of doing it is to use one of the selection tools (such as the lasso tool) to select your "person" then do Edit>Copy. Now go to your new background image and do Edit>Paste.

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2005, 11:26 AM

What I usually do, if I plan to reuse it, is to open a canvas in a high resolution say 300 dpi or higher if I plan to create a poster size portrait. That way if you need it for a lower resolution image, you can always lower the resolution without any loss as opposed to making it too low a resolution and trying to enlarge it to fit a larger size image you're working with. But if you only plan to use it the one time than yes I would make it the same resolution and dimensions as your image.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2005, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW
Melv,

One way of doing it is to use one of the selection tools (such as the lasso tool) to select your "person" then do Edit>Copy. Now go to your new background image and do Edit>Paste.

Wendy
Do you use a new layer?
Melv
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2005, 06:34 AM

Also what mode should I be in rgb gives me every colour of the rainbow and greyscale does not let me see anything apart from black and white.
Melv
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2005, 06:58 AM

OK forget the last post I managed to do it in the end but would appreciate help on colours as I'm not happy with the colours I have here. http://www.ukmidlandscanner.co.uk/tracy.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2005, 09:37 AM

Melv,

Not quite sure what you are trying to achieve but here's what I do when changing a background.

Assuming you are using Photoshop...
Create a new layer select a colour from the part of the image you wish to keep for the foreground. Select a darker shade of the same colour for the background. Using the radial gradient tool drag out from the centre of the image. This will fill the layer with the radial gradient lightest colour should be in the centre. You can drag past the edges of the image to get just the gradient you want.

Now create a hide all layer mask (hold ALT and click on the layer mask icon at the bottom of the layers palette).

With the mask selected (click on it to make sure) and using white and a hard brush paint over the area you want to hide in the original image. Apply a small amount of gaussian blur to the mask.

Click on the gradient layer thumbnail (to select the layer not the mask) and add a texture.

I selected colour from the hair this allows it to blend in easier.

I also merged visible layers to a new layer - heavy gaussian blur and changed layer mode to screen at 40%.

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tracybackgrndfix.jpg (97.5 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing