Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Robustly applying those filters... the magic ones?

Old 03-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Post Robustly applying those filters... the magic ones?

I was just reading an article of a new movie called 300 and found that they shot the movie in just 60 days and the post production took about a year. The director basically worked mainly for the result of the images in the movie. I found fascinating that the images were retouched frame by frame to convey a new way of visualization in cinema. It got me thinking that probably among the numerous programs the used there had to be a Photoshop based program. Using picture by picture to add a filter could be a long process but a beautiful composition in the end.

I have tried to achieve that result with Photoshop but so far I am still in the amateurish line waiting for a good delivery. It gets my attention when the use of filters in films is applied to convey a good mood and to enhance an image. In the case stated above the director says that they enhanced saturation, contrast and part of the natural colors.

There is always a color or even a shadow that make your eyes pay attention and absorb what just seems a moving frame. Colors are always a feast to the eye. A magical new way your eyes can remember forever!

I have played with this image to see if I could a least get close to something I have found about this film. In comparison, I am no expert with the people in big production at using filters or manipulating colors but my kid will sure have fun with a poster of his own. What do you think? Does anyone have a good tutorial for movie film filters?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (32.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg final.jpg (24.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg final-copy.jpg (87.8 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Re: Robustly applying those filters... the magic ones?

get a trial of after effects and take a look at some presets of cinematic styles.... you can view and edit every aspect of the presets... then just cart those variables over to Photoshop; just about all of the terms are the same.
I don't have it here at work, but when I get home I'll post a screenshot of what I mean.

Here you go:
The first is straight from After effects with the preset settings.
The second is in Photoshop with the layers mimicing the settings from After Effects.
Not exact.... but with practice....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg movie.jpg (52.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg movie2.jpg (69.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg fromae.jpg (39.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg fromae_layers.jpg (23.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by glikster; 03-07-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing