RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Help! Edge trouble - soft edges leaving shadows

Old 03-29-2007, 12:05 PM

Help! Edge trouble - soft edges leaving shadows

Hi Guys (and gals),
This is my first post here (great site) so pardon any etiquette errors...

please take a look at this image...

I've selecred the legs and window frame to remove from the original background and place against the new one (new one is almost identical, but is a larger canvas size). old left new right

Anyway, I'd like to ask if there is any solution to getting rid of the slight shadow casts along the edges of the legs???

These darkened areas are even more noticeable later on, when I need to adjust the color values (the end image is almost a duotone, blueish grey / black). So the legs look somewhat artificial.

I used the pen tool, and then blurred the selection with gaussian blur to remove the legs from the original photo...

Any help/insight would be much appreciated.
thanks retouch pro!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8x8comp.jpg (82.4 KB, 109 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Patron

Re: Help! Edge trouble - soft edges leaving shadows

You could try making a mask for just the legs/window, apply enough gausian blur to the whole mask to soften edges some, alt(opt)-click the mask in layers pallette to hide the mask but still keep it selected. Add a levels adjustment to the mask to tweak the edges to your liking. This should remove the minor fringing and help blend the legs/window with your new background a little better. You may want subtly adjust the overal colour tone of the legs to better tie in with your new background as well.
BTW- If I haven't explained myself very well let me know (tis 6:00 am over here and I'm still a bit bleary) and I will elaborate further. Mmmm...coffee!

Last edited by Littlecoo; 03-29-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2007, 07:36 PM

Hi wikiddmedia
I made a red copy, ran levels and then dodge & burn the gray areas. From that I was able to make a selection of the legs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg legs---- copy.jpg (40.5 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2007, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far,
desi what do you mean you ran a red copy?
Can you be a little more specific in your method for me?

also, dodging and burning the grey, you mean just going in with a small brush?
Do you have a drawing tablet or use the mouse, how long did it take you by the way, and what kind of magnifiaction did you work in...

Just trying to get a better idea of what you were doing...

In my opinion your work definitely helped the edges, I'm just worried that the selection will be a little to rough - looks like it in a couple of areas... I'll have to test your method out when you detail it further, on a hi-res version of the image and see how it comes out...

again thanks for taking the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 AM

Hi
I am not an expert but i find this method works for me.
On the leg layer go to the blending options and choose inner glow, then find a soutable colour that will make the legs seem to fit. After this go through the multiply/screen etc for the inner glow to get the desired effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2007, 10:19 AM

hello,
I didn't notice the shadow along the edge as much as the shadow on the legs themselves, so I used some dodge & burn on a layers.
Go to edit/ fill/ 50% gray change this layer to soft light. then I painted with the dodge and burn tools to either lighten or darken areas to smooth out the shadows.
I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg legs.jpg (98.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg legs-d&b.jpg (14.0 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2007, 01:00 PM

Hi Wilidmedia
Open the channels pallets. Look at the red, green & blue channels. Select the channel that has the most contrast between the item that you want to select and not. Make a copy of the channel. In this case it's the red channel. You should have a red copy at the bottom of the channels pallet. Go to image adjustments, levels. Move the left slider to the right to darken the background. Move the right slider to the left to lighten the legs & window frame. Use the dodge tool 50% for the legs & window to get rid of most of the gray areas. Use the burn tool on the background. Next, magnification 600 to 800%. Turn 0n the eyeball for the RGB, red, green, blue and the red copy. Make sure that you have the red copy selected. You should see a red mask on the red copy layer. Use a white and black brush to fine tune your mask. When you are satisfied with your mask, turn the eye ball for the red copy off, control click on the red copy layer, click on the RGB layer, then the layers pallet. Click on your photo, click Ctrl/j on your keyboard. You can also use the dodge tool on the edge of the legs or make a 50% overlay gray layer above the leg layer and use a white brush at a low op. I use a mouse, and it took me about 12 min. I hope this helps.
Ray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing