RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Dropping in Model to Background

Old 05-07-2007, 02:56 PM

Dropping in Model to Background

Hi Everyone,
I want to drop in a model i shot on a white backdrop onto a location.
What's the best way to do this?
I know how to use the pen tool and perfectly cut the subject out and everything, but once i put the model onto the "location" shot, how do i add a shadow to them to make the image seamless?
Here is an example of how i want it to look. I shot this image normal (with subject on location.)
But how would i achieve that same shadow if i shot the background and model (on white) seperately?

thanks for your input
~brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Portrait1_13B.jpg (42.7 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2007, 10:35 PM

Re: Dropping in Model to Background

Of course, there are many ways to do anything in photoshop, but here is one that I find works form most cases.
Add a new layer, Press Ctrl>click on the eye for the eye containing the image that you added to select.
Feather the selection slightly, and then fill with black.
Press Ctrl>T to transform the image, and distort it to lay on the surface in the direction as the rest of the shadows in the shot.
Change the layer mode to multiply or darken, and reduce the opacity of the layer to match the other shadows.
Move it to make it connect with the feet, and add or delete to the layer as needed.
Add another layer, and paint in a darker shadow where the feet touch the ground, to make the actor look grounded. (Just a small line usually sufices).

You may have to fiddle with is to get it to look just right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the info dave!
Here's what i have so far, but whats making this look so fake?
It looks like a cut out just pasted on.
any thoughts?
thanks
~brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TEST_DROP.jpg (82.4 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2007, 11:16 AM

Hi brian,
The model's color seems to be a little off in relation to her surrounding. This tutorial might help you. http://www.g4tv.com/techtvvault/feat...ch_colors.html

Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2007, 11:42 PM

The biggest problem that I see here is you perspective is off. Look at the door ways to the left of the walk, to determine the correct perspective. Draw an imaginary line along the top of the opening of the doorway coming forward, and again along the foot of the doorway. This should show you how big the girl should be. Position here so that her eyes are even with the horizon line.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 PM

Maybe this will help.

The red lines that I have drawn define the vanishing point, where the lines come together. The green line shows about where the eyes should be for a subject to fit into this scene. By projecting these line forwards, you can continue to see where things should be as you move forward in the photo. As you can see, your subject is a bit large, and placed a bit high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TEST_DROP copy.jpg (77.4 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 12:53 AM

Some of the most important things to keep in mind when doing a composite are the perspective, lighting and depth of field (lens focal length). In order for a composite to appear realistic, these three things must match up between the subject and the background. Lighting can often be manipulated, and varies depending on the circumstance (like the strobes used to light the subject on the basketball player), so it is less important than the other two variables depending on what you are doing.

Ok... I feel like I am rambling now, but I hope that this helps you anyway. Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 01:02 AM

Also... I was just taking another look at your composite with the girl. It looks like your shadows aren't matching up. It's hard to tell, but the light on the background appears to be coming from directly overhead (maybe just slightly at an angle). The model's shadow is softer, thinner, and more at an angle than the shadows in the scene. She also has a shadow cast onto her legs from her skirt that go in a different direction than the one from her body (I am probably splitting hairs here).
Nice job, however, on making her shadow gradate out. That is important.

In all, I think that your biggest issue is your perspective (as Dave stated above). I hope I haven't confused you more!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing