RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Clone Stamp Tool

Old 05-29-2007, 12:10 PM

Smile Clone Stamp Tool

Using CS3 and trying to use the clone stamp tool and have a question. Once I have set my source point #1 by alt/click then activate the overly, I then reposition my source as my overly shows. I then click and start painting. All works well except if I release the mouse I no longer can continue from where I started as the overly keeps moving with my mouse. Is there a way that I can release my mouse then continue at a different location within my source area? If I start painting again I start cloning to another source. I make sure I am using my targeted source, one in this case. Not sure if I explained this properly as I have difficulty putting into words what my thoughts are. Any help will be greatly appreciated.....Thank you....Ralph

first time posting...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 PM

Re: Clone Stamp Tool

Untick aligned at the top and you should always clone from the same spot and not relative to your mouse.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 02:26 PM

Thanks for your help. I tried unticking aligned and I don't see any difference. If for some reason I slightly release my mouse and want to continue I have not idea how to do this as continuing to click clones from a different area. This is very frustrating to me. I just don't understand how the clone stampe works. I watched the tutorial by Dr. Brown and he makes it seem so simple, just click and paint but no information on how to proceed if you inadvertenly release the mouse then want to continue. Thanks for your help and if you have any further suggestions I will certainly appreciate them......Ralph
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 03:10 PM

You're doing it right, it sounds like. It's not that complicated of a tool. Unclicking 'aligned' should work. Maybe you have a faulty CS3?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 04:03 PM

Thank you for your help. Don't know if I have a bad CS3 but that is the only problem that I have encountered so far. It is right out of the box, new version 10. One last question. If I do inadvertenly release the mouse (with aligned unchecked), from where do I restart my clicking? Can I just continue where I was at the time I released the mouse? Thanks again....Ralph
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 04:53 PM

Hope this helps. alt+click on the source you want to clone from. You then go to the spot you want to clone to, press and hold mouse and paint. Your source will move in relation to your mouse movement as long as the button is held down. It will stay in that relation if aligned is checked even when you let up. If you uncheck aligned, then when you let up on the button, the clone source will return to the spot you last alt+clicked. You then hold your button down and start painting again and it will stay in that relation until you let up which then returns to the original selection.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 PM

Thanks Dennis, still isn't working for me. I have aligned checked, alt click for source, click on show overlay, move to area I want to clone to, then holding mouse begin to paint the entire clone area. I stopped deliberately and made sure I didn't move my mouse, then started painting again and I got cloning from the moved source not where I had stopped brushing. Not sure what to do now, perhaps avoid using the clone brush. Thanks for your suggestion......Ralph
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 10:26 PM

I thought of one more thing - try unchecking the show overlay box and see what happens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 10:52 AM

Thanks Dennis, I will give it a try sometime today......Ralph
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 PM

Dennis, still didn't work. If I complete the cloning without releasing the mouse it works fine. Release the mouse and forget it. I didn't think it mattered, but I am actualling cloning to a layer above the original. Not sure it makes a difference. Thanks again Dennis.....Ralph
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing