RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Layer Masks or History Brush ?

Old 03-23-2002, 05:01 AM

Hi John,

I have to admit that I am also affected by sporadic bouts of "Tourette's Disorder" in my line of job....I am a translator and have a lot to do with people undecided about "how" but specially about "when"....

Ciao

Flora
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2002, 11:32 AM

Hello Ms. Flora,

You can translate very good. (Noticed you were from Italy) Better than me, and I'm born in the U.S. here. The people in Texas here (I’m born and raised in New York/New Jersey area. Now live in Texas.) think (and say) that I have speech impairment......... A New York accent ...... In the U.S., here they have different accents in different parts of the U.S.
Example: In Texas they say: "Yawl".......... for "You all". In New York, they will say something like: "Yoo! How ya' dew' in!"... For... “You! How you doing!”. A woman from Germany (told me after she got to know me) said: Yes. When I first started talking to you. It was hard to understand you. I though you were talking with chewing gum in your mouth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2002, 02:49 PM

More Masking tips

Similar to what John Opitz suggested, I use layer masking for scratch and dust removal. The Dust & Scratches filter and Gaussian blur lose detail and film grain, so I came up with this (this is just a varient of a method from Katrin Eismann's book).

Duplicate the background layer. Set the blend mode to Darken (for light scratches; use Lighten for dark scratches and dust). Use Move to shift the duplicate layer a few pixels. It works best for me to move the layer at right angles to the direction of the scratch, that way the amount of the shift is minimized. Watch your scratch disappear as the other layer is moved. When the scratch is gone, or the shift gets to be more than 4-5 pixels stop and apply a layer mask to Hide All. Use a brush just larger than your scratch to paint white over the layer mask revealing the moved pixels underneath. The scratch is gone! (Well, hidden anyway).

I don't like to move too far, since I find that large moves often start to reveal other parts of the picture around the scratch. Just repeat the above procedure, except move the new layer the opposite direction from the first move.

While it increases the size of the file considerably it is non-destructive (unless you flatten) and very quick.

--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2002, 04:09 PM

Hi John,

sorry, but I found very funny your comment about what is considered "your speech impairment"....

Well over here, in Italy, it's very much the same with all the different accents and dialects....

.... and I'm definitely going to try the "chewing gum approach" .... (it might be a big help for my "sporadic bouts of Tourette's Disorder"

Ciao

Flora
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2002, 08:16 PM

Hello Mr. S,
That would be good for dust and scratches as well. I don't deal with scratches too much, but will use it on dust next time though.As far as adding to the file size. The new machines are running "stock", 256mb of ram and better video cards for screen redraw.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2002, 08:33 PM

Hello Ms. Flora,
No need to be sorry. That's my "dry" sense of humor. Btw, I like the picture of you that you have for your posts. It "rocks".
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2002, 12:14 PM

Understanding Masks

For more understanding and using layer masks. You can refer to the Adobe manual (Chapters, 7 & 8).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2002, 05:55 PM

Hi John,

.. A "dry" sense of humor it's the kind of humor that makes me break into laughter even when I shouldn't....

....thanks for your comment about my picture.....

Ciao, ciao

Flora
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2002, 07:00 PM

Hi Tim_S,

I have tried your tip and was very happy with the results!

Thank you very much for it!

Ciao, ciao

Flora
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2002, 12:34 AM

Adjustment Layers (AL) act like layer masks.

Try this:
1. Create a Hue/Saturation AL above a color layer.
2. Drag the Saturation slider all the way to the left & click OK
3. Set foreground/background colors to default black/white.
4. Choose the airbrush tool, set pressure to 15%-25% or so); select a large (say, 200 pixel) soft edged brush
5. Start "painting" on the active Hue/Sat layer with the foreground color. Notice as you "paint" how the color from the layer(s) below starts showing through. The black suppresses the effect of the AL on layers below.

Or try this modification to the above...
2a. Invert the Hue/Sat AL (IMAGE>ADJUST>INVERT). Notice how the thumbnail goes black and the image appears in color?
3a. Set foreground color to white.
The white enables the effect of the AL.

White on an inverted AL or black on a normally white AL are effective ways to selectively apply the AL effect to layers below. Works great with levels, curves, brightness/contrast, etc.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing