RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Changing the dynamic of the background

Old 01-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Changing the dynamic of the background

Hi there,

I would like to find a place where to learn how to start with a photo like _MG_6540.JPG, then prepare it like 1_1.jpg and in the end place it in a background like here:

http://www.roge.ru/?p=170
http://www.roge.ru/?p=135
http://www.roge.ru/?p=125
http://www.roge.ru/?p=214
http://www.roge.ru/?p=252

I am intersted in how to apply the background and keep the 3D perspective from picture? How to create the impression that I am standing on something ... how do I map the creative background to the initial picture?

I don't know if I can make myself clear, but let's take this 4 pictures from roge.ru: I don't think that initially when the photos were captured, the models were sitting on a red/brown/yellow/black etc and they had a red/brown wall behind.

Let' assume that I will start using the scene from photo _MG_6628.JPG. I will ask my model to sit there, I will have a white bed sheet on the floor and the white wall behind. You will take the photo with the model in the desired position, so that you will express whatever emotion you want in the picture. From this moment, I would like to find a tutorial on how to take this picture, change the white wall background (or any other white background behind), change the color of the bed sheet, keep the shadows as they are so that you will keep the feeling of original position of the model, keep at least the two dimensions, the behind background ("wall example") and the sitting background ("floor example") ... etc.

For example, by transforming the original photo _MG_6540.JPG in 1_1.jpg, I've lost the details, I've lost the feeling that we are sitting on something, we are looking like we are on the air ...

So any advice, tutorials, links, will be really helpful and appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Theodor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_6540.JPG (78.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 1_1.jpg (85.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_6628.JPG (70.2 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2008, 06:44 PM

Re: Changing the dynamic of the background

In order for the subjects to appear grounded, rather that floating in air, they need to interact with their environment is some way. Even if they are sitting on a pure white floor, they would at least cast some degree of a shadow, and maybe a reflection. Here is an example where I added a hairline shadow, as you might have in a well lit studio, and a reflection from the floor.

As far as the background that you posted, if you want to use that, you will need to distort it so it matches the perspective of the original photo. You will also want to adjust the lighting level to match. Once you do that, you can add your subjects to the photo. Just be sure to add some shadows to the background. Try playing with the multiply mode to darken the sheet where you want the shadow. You will probably need several shadow layers to get it to look just right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_1_R.jpg (29.0 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Dave.Cox; 01-12-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2008, 07:03 PM

Hope I can help give you some ideas.

First you need to establish some horizon line. Even if very faint to define the end of the floor and the start of the wall.

You also need to cast shadows up the wall.

I also added a color fill layer to bring the mood color into your bright picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-1.jpg (81.3 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 03:11 AM

What if I will take the original photo on a white sheet floor and white wall behind, with a good light and I will have the original shadows of the subjects (on the floor as well as on the wall): you try to cut the subjects with their shadow and remove the white from the floor and wall, and then move this layer to another canvas where you prepared the scene, or you map your scene (new texture and color of background) to the original photo, replacing the white wall and floor with your ideas?

In other words, my question at this point is: the photographer, when is taking the shoot, should be concerned in generating good and contrasting shadows as well, or is a better practice to generate them?

Thank you for your answers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 10:18 AM

Unless you are super careful with your camera angle to match the perspective of the scene that you want to move your subjects too, you are still going to have to touch up your shadows to match the new background. In my opinion, it's easier to just go ahead and make your shadows to match your new background. To do this, you just need to pay attention to where the shadow is going, and what direction it is going on the surface. Here is an example where I added a back wall in Notice the shadows change direction where the wall meets the floor. (You can see the red reference line that I added in at the junction.) To make the shadow change direction, create a new shadow on a new layer.

You can do this into any scene that matches the perspective. I not really addressing the mood of the scene in this scene, but the technique. I hope this gives you some ideas.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_1_R.jpg (38.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 1_1_R2.jpg (37.8 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing