Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Multi-Photo Animal Compositing Example

Old 11-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Re: Multi-Photo Animal Compositing Example

Thanks for the post. As far as learning how to do and/or change backgrounds it is a process that can be different depending on the shot and the complexity of the subject versus the background you are wanting to cut out and replace. IF you know you are wanting to put someone in another place and your able to plan a shot then it is a lot easier and there are a couple methods for doing it.
1. Vertus Fluid Mask - I have tried and used numerous other programs for cutting out and isolating... this has been far superior for general cutting out and easy to learn once you get the basics down, I highly recommend it!
2. If it is a planned shot then take a clean plate shot on a tripod before shooting any people, and then shoot the subject. That way you can use photomerge function in CS3 to build the picture the way you want with having to worry about complicated masks. i love using this function the most as you can get complicated results pretty easily! It does take some practice to get right but once you learn how you can get some amazing results.
3. Lastly again with planned shoots, use green screen, blue screen with the same goal as above. But there are more specific programs to separate out people or whatever very easily then to be inserted into whatever image you want. I use Advantedge for this process, it does an amazing job.

I know this is not a complete list, as there are numerous way to do this and it takes time and practice to find the way that works for you the best. Plus it also depends on the quality of the image going into the work to be used... kinda like the crap in crap out theme

Hope this helps somehow?But this is how I go about doing this stuff most of the time...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Re: Multi-Photo Animal Compositing Example

Thanks for the information -- I'll take a look at Vertus Fluid Mask.
Have a great holiday.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing