RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Advertise Here

Photo Montage/Collages

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2002, 03:32 PM

Hi Lisa,
First of all, thanks for your compliments.

I hope I'm not mistaken if I say that your biggest challenge is not a technical one, but an artistic one? (You've already got the Wow book, and I think that's a very good starting point, technically speaking. )

Have you read any books on art or graphics design? Perhaps you could find some inspiration there? Another suggestion would be to check out the numerous magazines about digital photography: They feature interesting portfolios and cover a wide range of techniques (from novice to intermediate level). Some magazines also have CD-ROMs with stock photos and sample images. Unfortunately, some of these magazines are a bit expensive: In Norway, for example, a magazine with CD-ROM often costs about $15-20.
Old 06-07-2002, 03:41 PM

nice thread .. stuart h.. your post is timely as I have a niece who graduates next week and was thinking of doing a montage of her life thus far.. your comment of 1st placing the most pertinent photos and then blending in the others sounds like the way I'll go... Thanks
Old 06-08-2002, 08:51 PM

Sample Composite

Attached is a sample composite I did to commemorate the anniversary of my brother's death. The image is actually a composite of 4 different images and uses layer masks, adjustment layers and blending modes to smooth the transition from image to image.

The background image was taken the day that we dropped his ashes from a friend's airplane (my brother was a pilot). The rainbow in the background image was photographed in, not placed there through photoshop which really added a special effect.

The other images were related to organ donation which we did when he died as a way to create something good from the situation.

Much of the methods employed here are standard photoshop techniques, alot of playing and applying real life feelings.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.
Earl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scottorgan.jpg (92.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 06-08-2002, 09:08 PM

Real nice Earl.. lost my brother just a few years ago... working with the images seem to keep them alive doesn't it... well pretty image
Old 06-08-2002, 09:25 PM

Thanks rondon, the images sure do help remember. His boys and my mother seemed to really enjoy the image. It's amazing where you can wind up sometimes when you sit down and start playing with photoshop or other graphics programs.

Earl
Old 06-08-2002, 10:29 PM

Very touching collage Earl,

I think the best part of a collage is that we find what's special to the person and include it in an almost storybook way through this technique.

Lisa
Old 06-08-2002, 11:25 PM

don't know if this is butting in, cause the kind of Collage I have done were not too related to what Lisa is doing, but 2 or 3 yrs ago when first trying layers, I did some on rock. Here is one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deadonessm.jpg (92.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-09-2002, 11:57 AM

Great Rock Collage

fugitive... love the collage on rock. The psychedelic background with hendrix, joplin and rock poster is awesome. Great music and great collage.

Great work,
Earl
Old 06-09-2002, 12:35 PM

Thanks Earl, at the time I did these, they were the most important thing on the burner.

greg
Old 06-09-2002, 01:33 PM

Another Collage from Last Week

The attached collage was developed last week, inspired by the threats of nuclear war between India and Pakistan. My son was originally planning to visit a friend in India at the end of July, but threats of war may prevent his trip.

The original image was taken on an overpass on Storrow Drive in Boston. I then ran the (artistic) cutout filter on the image and booted the saturation and adjusted the contrast. I then added two signs painted by children (one from the north end of boston and another from Newburyport) and adjusted them for perspective to try and make it look like they belonged there. I then created a new brush in PS7 to create a sparkle or fallout type effect and painted that onto the sky and brushes on the side of the road. I then added a text layer and applied emboss, inner glow and drop shadow with adjustments to the colors applied. I also exaggerated the spread to create the white cloud effect behind the title. Similar type approach for the Peace text at the bottom.

Earl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg storrowdrivecutpeace.jpg (68.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-09-2002, 01:47 PM

I like it, it has multiple eliments for the viewer(me) to look at. Like the poster thing on the road, the signs, fallout. That's a fairly tall building, impressive. Don't know anything about Boston except a little history.
You should put it in the gallery.
greg
Old 06-09-2002, 01:55 PM

I see you have a business too, make any money?
My browser couldn't get the large images. I saw 2 that you had posted here.
greg
Old 06-09-2002, 05:56 PM

Fallout Montage

Thanks fugitive, will place it in the gallery. The tall building in the background of the image is the John Hancock tower which was notorious for falling glass windows when first build in the 70's. Problem has since been fixed but was kind of dangerous on windy days. The image was really fun to play with. I love Boston and spend as much time as possible in the city. I live about an hour west of Boston so it's a fairly easy trip. Alot of great places to photograph.

Actually I'm just re-starting a business that I ran several years ago and stopped for awhile. Have mainly been doing non-paying work for relatives (retouching, restorations etc), but am gearing up to make some money. Ran this as a part time business for many years until my full time job became too much to maintain the photography. Sorry I let it go because it has always been a true love and something really fun. Got laid off almost a year ago and the job market has been dead so looking to use this for revenue and possible retirement business in the future.

Earl
Old 06-09-2002, 07:24 PM

I hope it works for you.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:41 AM

How do you change the photos???

In DreamSuite2, how do you change the picts. in the negative film strip??? Mine uses the same pic, but distorts the other two shots.... Please help...

JerMaurer@aol.com

Thanks.

JER