RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Photo Montage/Collages

Old 05-18-2002, 11:31 PM

Photo Montage/Collages

As a favor to a friend, I spent the entire afternoon taking pictures of her sons grad. It was a blast... I have to admit. But now I'm home and I've level adjusted, cropped and touched up most of the images. What I'd most like to do is come up with a nice collage. I'm lousy at doing collages. The basics... yeah I can do but I'd really like to go beyond the basics. If you have seen an tutorials or have any new ideas... please pass em' along. Here's a site that has a unique approach -
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/pedrocre.../pcgallery.htm

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 11:43 PM

Cool link Lisa! I like how they integrated text into the images.

I do not know of any good tutorials, but I usually just create a large canvas and paste the images I want to use on seperate layers. Then it's just a matter of moving them around until I find a nice compostion and then start blending them together. One thing to consider is not just to fade 1 image into another, but also try experimenting with blending modes, blurring certain areas, etc... I also like to use colored backgrounds and borders from time to time.

Please post what you come up with!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 04:17 AM

Food for thought...

Lisa:

This is a promo for AutoFX's new Dream Suite II product (lots of example images).

Many of these have no relationship to collage, but some of the ones that are "tiled" or "stacked" struck me as something a little different.

A drop-shadow here and there... rotate some images a little... rough-up some edges... frame a couple + the usual blending techniques.

Hope this gives you a little visual inspiration.

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 12:54 PM

Thanks Danny .... and guess what? I have Dreamsuite Series 2. I have never really spent much time working with it. The interface is really lame. I threw together a quick film strip. I just need to come up with a neat background and a few of these effects.

Thanks for the tip.

Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grad 2002 filmstrip resized.jpg (60.2 KB, 150 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 01:19 PM

This is kind of a neat effect. It's part of the film strip.

Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lisa dreamsuite.jpg (33.9 KB, 194 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 01:44 PM

Thumbs down Very cool!

Very creative work, Lisa! I really like the depth and 'character' the drop shadow adds. Custom text is a plus, too.

I sure wouldn't be surprised if friends of The Graduate are envious of the final product and she points them your way to create "special memories" of their graduation experiences. (Who knows: Future business opportunities?!)

I have DS-1 and agree the interface is lame. Though ease of use isn't exactly a strong point with DS, there are some pretty nifty effects under the hood. You've inspired me to open and install DS-2! (Too many plugins... not enough hard disk space, not enough time to experiment and play! )

Thanks for sharing your creation and inspiring the rest of us.

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2002, 12:59 AM

Lisa, These tutorials might be too basic for you, but perhaps one will have something that "clicks" for you. I just did a google search for "photoshop montage tutorial" and "photoshop collage tutorial". In no particular order:

http://www.thinkdan.com/tutorials/photoshop/montage/

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~madsb/jc/wal...stone_tut.php3

http://www.digiphoto.co.uk/tutorial%20-%20montages.html

http://www.carlvolk.com/photoshop10.htm

http://the-internet-eye.com/TIPS/PSD...collage_jv.htm

http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/layermask/layermask.htm

Good luck! Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2002, 02:18 AM
Janitor

<moderator hat>If you have links to individual tutorials, consider adding them to our new section for individual tutorial links in our links db</moderator hat>
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2002, 10:44 AM

Wonderful links Jeanie. Thank you so much. They're not too basic. Each tutorial has it's own unique tip about layered masks or methods to fade the edges.

I guess for me it's more of a designing issue. How too - I've got the basic (only basic). I'm trying to design a grad collage and I'm totally drawing a blank how to compose it. I'll keep working on it.

I think the tutorial from is very helpful.
http://www.digiphoto.co.uk/tutorial%20-%20montages.html

I'll give it a try. Many thanks.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2002, 11:01 AM

I haven't actually done a montage (but I've got a couple of ideas for projects), so don't have "real-life" experience to share with you. (No, wait - I DID do a couple after 9/11! How could I forget!)

However, the way I would start would be with a big canvas, pull in the photos you think you want to use, and start arranging them. Then rearrange and rearrange again until you think you've exhausted the possibilities. (Essentially the same way you'd do a paper collage of pictures - arranging them before cutting them down.) Don't forget that you can flip photos horizontally (if nothing in the photo, like text, gives it away) if it will work better in the overall scheme. For example, if a photo "fits" better on the left, but the person is turned facing OUT of the photo, flip it so they're facing in.

As far as text, I think it's probably better to wait until after you've got the photos arranged to see where it fits best, but if you have a definite "title" that you know you want - then you might want to include it with the photos as you arrange everything.

Keep notes (or better yet, save) those arrangements you like, then choose the best one from those. You do NOT need to do the blending, etc while doing the arranging. At least for me, once I can see how the photos "fit" together, then the blending comes fairly naturally. And if the collection of photos doesn't make a nice square or rectangle, then choose a nice background pattern/design to fill in around the edges.

Hope this helps.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing