RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

I'm Fascinated--How Was This Achieved..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 PM

I'm Fascinated--How Was This Achieved..

Hi everyone,

I've been seeing a lot of "Sidewalk Paintings" which I believe to be created in Photoshop or another PostProcessing Program.

I'm wondering if the similar image below was created in PS using the 'Vanishing Point' filter.

Does anyone have any idea or info on a tutorial on how to create this image?
Thanks

http://www.pbase.com/image/109092765.jpg
Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 AM

Re: I'm Fascinated--How Was This Achieved..

I saw a very similar image and it was painted on the truck, not done in Photoshop.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I saw a very similar image and it was painted on the truck, not done in Photoshop.
I think it is a composit done in Post Processing. Here's how I got there....

I saw a series of these truck pics on a website (don't remember which web site) and the 6 different images featured the same truck and location. Only the pics painted on the truck's trailer was different.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Patron

According to Snopes Nov 2005 Those images are not real photographs, but digital mock-ups created for a competition. Seven winners were selected (with the Pepsi design taking first place), and those designs were implemented for real and showcased at an Awards ceremony..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trucks.jpg (198.9 KB, 225 views)
Old 02-12-2009, 06:38 AM

OlBaldy, Thanks for taking the time to comment and research. The pics above were the mock ups--The trucks are the same and the images have much the same background. My question is how were the mock ups achieved. I have some creative ideas for my own application of this procedure.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Patron

I think in this case "Mock-Up" means Photoshopped..

It sounds like you have some projects in mind that will involve Photo-Realism using Photoshop..
The Guru of Photo-Realism is Bert Monroy. All his pictures are photo-realist paintings!
His home page is "here" (http://www.bertmonroy.com/index.htm) and he has some excellent tutorials "here" (http://revision3.com/pixelperfect/page/all/)

Hope this helps.. Good luck with your project!
Some postings of your progress would be nice!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Those "3D truck ad" concepts are very cool. My guess is the mock-ups would've required photographic textures of real-world objects (like beer bottles, crates, etc), mapped onto 3D perfect scale models in a program like Cinema 4D or similar. While CS4 Extended isn't quite there for complex jobs like these just yet (would take a LONG time)... in the future, mapping images to complex models in this way might be a possibility right in Ps.

Then if it were to be applied to a real truck or phone booth or whatever, the shop that does the detail work would require the design to be segmented according to the dimensions of the truck / booth panels, "corner wrap" would be taken into consideration, and that would be that.

Seriously though not sure how good this would be on the road. I'm pretty sure that would freak me out a bit if I were driving down the highway and saw that guy merging. "Sorry officer, the optical beer-bottle-through-my-windshield illusion made me swerve; can't possibly be my fault."
Old 02-25-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post

Seriously though not sure how good this would be on the road. I'm pretty sure that would freak me out a bit if I were driving down the highway and saw that guy merging. "Sorry officer, the optical beer-bottle-through-my-windshield illusion made me swerve; can't possibly be my fault."
I extend my thanks to all of you who have commented here.

IMHO, Those are are not actual trucks with decals painted on them. These are pictures of an ordinary truck (possibably the same truck used in all of these composits). In some instances they share even the same background. The decals have been digitally added to the trucks' images in PhotoShop or some other equally spectacular image-editing program.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitejam View Post
I extend my thanks to all of you who have commented here.

IMHO, Those are are not actual trucks with decals painted on them. These are pictures of an ordinary truck (possibably the same truck used in all of these composits). In some instances they share even the same background. ....
I definitely agree. It is the same truck and background for most of those examples. What I mean is, were someone to attempt such an advertisement on the side of a truck, it would be pretty distracting on the road. As for the applications I suspect all you would need is a high-end 3D modeling program and Photoshop... and a lot of patience. A really fantastic decal / painting facility wouldn't hurt.

With billboards illusions are a little easier to print / pull off (I imagine) because they're relatively far away from the people looking at them. Not as sure if that level of detail could be pulled of at closer viewing distances. Most truck ads seem to have a more illustration-like quality to their artwork. And probably getting soot and dirt on the side of the truck would ruin the illusion after a short time (it would throw off the shadows and other subtle lighting cues that give the illusion of a "space inside the trailer"). The material the truck siding is made of would have an influence too if it reflected sunlight, etc. The illusion might only work on an overcast day, where the lighting is diffuse and even. All that's just off the top of my head, never having investigated this type of advertising before.

Anyway, a very cool concept. Would be fun to see more real-world packaging and advertising applications that use this sort of art.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 02-27-2009, 04:42 PM

I think Ol Baldy's post makes it pretty clear that both views are right here. While the supplied image was a mock-up, these were in fact implemented in reality.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
The Guru of Photo-Realism is Bert Monroy. All his pictures are photo-realist paintings!
No doubt, his work is truly amazing. I had the pleasure of attending a PS seminar that he led about a year ago. He makes things look so easy, especially using the pen tool. Some of his techniques are so basic, but when he puts it all together the magic comes thru.