RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Perrier Melting Print & Tv Spot

Old 05-16-2009, 02:14 AM

Perrier Melting Print & Tv Spot

Hi...

I'm wondering what sort of workflow / technics are employed to realize these prints ad, obviously some 3d treatment for the tv spot, but for prints ? any idea how to achieve this ? possible as just a photoshop treatment ? liquify & nudge ?

Any thoughts or details much appreciated... cheers !

o.

tv spot on youtube:
melting perrier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg melting_perrier.jpg (95.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg redimage2-550x412.jpg (79.3 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2009, 07:41 AM

Re: Perrier Melting Print & Tv Spot

Take a look here for inspiration.
http://www.worth1000.com/contest.asp...play=photoshop

A good tutorial can be found here
http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161146

The tools are basically liquify, smudge, and painting in highlights and shadows. Just take your time and practice.
Look at the green part of the Perrier ad. Study the light and shadow. You can add light green and dark green in the right areas to make the light and dark areas, and smudge to blend the colors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Hi TimeTravler, thanks for the links...
it seems to be of an liquify / smudge and paint job indeed, but to get the quality of results seen in the ad, i wonder if it's just a painting / photoshop job or some 3d renders are involved ?
As in the worth.com examples, most results aren't really "photo realistic" if such can be said...

maybe an awful lot of time is beeing spent on those ads.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voskull View Post
Hi TimeTravler, thanks for the links...
it seems to be of an liquify / smudge and paint job indeed, but to get the quality of results seen in the ad, i wonder if it's just a painting / photoshop job or some 3d renders are involved ?
As in the worth.com examples, most results aren't really "photo realistic" if such can be said...

maybe an awful lot of time is beeing spent on those ads.
Hi voskull, you're welcome. The ads look like they used the methods used in the link to the tutorial that I posted. I'm pretty sure the ads don't use 3d renders. It does take time and practice to get the lights and shadows to look realistic. I looked at the Perrier ad again, and I can see, especially in the green, where white, and different shades of green were added to make the 'folds' that make it look like it's melting. You can also use dodge and burn to darken and lighten areas.

Grab a picture of something small to practice with. The ads in your example photos have a lot of processing. That would take some time and experience. Maybe use a photo of a sneaker or something simple, and just start playing with the liquify tool. Add some highlights and shadows and mess around with it and post it in the critic forum. It will probably get more attention there.

Once you start editing a photo, it's easier for people to give you more specific tips.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 11:15 AM

They were done by the amazing retoucher christophe huet, so I doubt there is any 3d render. There are a lot of 'making ofs on his site so hopefully there will be one on these images in the future.

http://www.christophehuet.com/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing