RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Setting up a smudge tool preset.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM

Setting up a smudge tool preset.

Hi,

With some help from Palms I have tracked down a preset for the smudge tool that I really wanted. I downloaded it from a website, and it is now sitting on my desktop as a .tpl file. I am not sure what I have to do to set it up, and would be grateful for some help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Patron

Re: Setting up a smudge tool preset.

Activate the Smudge tool. Click on the triangle beside the smudge tool icon at the top left corner of the option bar. A window will open probably saying that there are no presets defined. Click the triangle at the right side of that window and select Load Presets. Then just direct it to where you have saved your downloaded preset. It will load and be available for you.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 AM

I would first copy the .tpl to your AdobeCS/Presets/Tools folder then follow Murray's instructions for loading it. Just navigate to the same folder and load it from there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 01:52 PM

Many thanks Murray and Swampy!

I followed your instructions, but unfortunately there has been a hiccup (I can make no sense of it at all.)

I copied the smudge preset file to Programs>Adobe>CS4>Presets>Tools. That was fine. There were 5 tpl files there in total, including the one I had just put there.

I then followed Murray's instructions (which seemed absolutely clear and straightforward.) When I clicked on "Load Tool Presets" the Tool folder in the Preset file came up automatically - but it was empty. There was nothing to highlight as the file I wanted! Nor were the other tpl files listed either. I am now a bit stuck....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Patron

Depending on which version of PS you have, and which operating system you have, the presets are stored in different places.
That is why I first recommended that you go back to that empty preset window, click on the sideways triangle and select Load Presets. The direct the dialog box to whereever you have stored the *.tpl file.
The permanent solution would be as Swampy recommended. Locate where the presets are stored for your version of PS and your Windows operating system and place the *.tpl files in the correct folder. The next time you start PS, they will load automatically.
FYI, the presets are loaded when PS starts up. So if you add any to the folder you will need to close PS and start it again or it will not see the presets.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 03:05 PM

Depending on which version of PS you have, and which operating system you have, the presets are stored in different places.
That is why I first recommended that you go back to that empty preset window, click on the sideways triangle and select Load Presets. The direct the dialog box to whereever you have stored the *.tpl file.
The permanent solution would be as Swampy recommended. Locate where the presets are stored for your version of PS and your Windows operating system and place the *.tpl files in the correct folder. The next time you start PS, they will load automatically.
FYI, the presets are loaded when PS starts up. So if you add any to the folder you will need to close PS and start it again or it will not see the presets.

I'm sorry Murray - I still didn't get it right. I don't have the option (in CS4) of "load presets", rather I have the option "Load Tool Presets". When I click on that, the attached box is what comes up....but no files are showing in it.

I am probably just getting the wrong end of the stick .... my apologies.

BTW, I did restart ps this time....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg load-tool-presets-box.jpg (71.1 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Patron

Yes, Load Tool Presets is correct. The reason your folder is empty is because Photoshop CS4 by default expects to find your preset in the following folder:

C>User (you)> Documents and Settings> Application Data > Adobe > Adobe Photoshop CS4> Presets>Tools.
Since you have not saved any there, the window is empty. At this point you have two choices. You can click at the top where it says Look In and a pull down menu will allow you to navigate to whereever you saved your new presets. You other choice is to place your presets in the above folder where PS expects to find it. The you can slect Load Tool Presets again, or you can restart PS and it will automatically load any presets in that folder.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 05:11 PM

Murray is right. Saving and loading Presets from the user folder limits the use of those preferences to the current user. That is why I put them in the Preset/Tools folder that is inside the Photoshop application folder where they are available to every user. Sorry if I confused you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 AM

Thank you Murray and Swampy!

I've finally done it thanks to your suggestion of working back from the empty folder along the right path for finding presets/tools - for me it was Drive C>Programme files>Adobe>Photoshop CS4>Presets>Tools. I sort of had duplicate 'ghost' files for presets/tools as well, (which was empty) but that seems to have gone now I have established the right path for finding the smudge tool presets.

I'm not sure, but I think the problem may have been that I have just had a massive amount of work done on my computer, new motherboard, re-installation of all progs etc. The path User>Documents and Settings exists on my computer, but does not lead on to Application Data :-( It is all a bit weird. Anyway, (phew!), now it is sorted out (though not in a way I can make sense of...)

Thank you so much for your help and encouragement - I would never have done it on my own.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing