RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Compositing Collage, montage, masking, selections, combining, etc.

Floating subject in front of busy background?

Old 09-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Floating subject in front of busy background?

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on the best way to approach this challenge...

My subject wants to create an image where there are multiples of himself floating in a room. He wants it to look like he's standing, but just levitating above the ground. Inititially I thought to shoot him on a white background standing on a small stool (which would be cloned out) and just place him into a plain white room which I was planning on creating digitally.

The thing is he wants the room to be a more natural realistic setting like a living room. If there was no floating involved I would simply put camera on tripod, shoot the room first then him in various positions and mask them together. My concern is having him floating... i'm not too sure i'm going to be able to get a small enough stool for him to stand on and am concerned it could be a bit of a cloning nightmare. Would this have to be done with green screen?

Any advice as to the best way to go about this would be most appreciated!

This also reminded me of some photographs by photographer Rebekka Guðleifsdóttir I saw once. She did self portraits where she is floating... to this day it still bothers me that I can't figure out how it was done. The only thing I can guess is that she is jumping. *shrugs* Link to that photo below!

http://www.rebekkagudleifs.com/self-...g#self0105.jpg

-Steph
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Patron

Re: Floating subject in front of busy background?

Steph, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.

shoot room with a non distortion wide angle lens

use same lighting, lens, set up for the subject

shoot subject using the appropriate distances/perspective as the room

the subject could use any pose they want ... lying on a table to look as if flying (a strong fan would help here to keep things flowing instead of dropping down or some one holding the garments up to be cloned out later)
standing on tippy toes helps the subject not look flat footed if standing

cut the subject out and put them where you want em

no shadows helps with the floating effect

the hard part with using a room as a setting is keeping things proportional so the subject does not look like a miniature in a big room.. unless you want them to look like Tinker Bell that is..

all in all, it is merely cut and paste using whatever tools you are comfortable with

Looking forward to seeing your results posted here... or your WIP (Work In Progress)

You can post fairly large pictures of your own work which are under 100k using the save for web function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)
This may also help some... How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads?(Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution of your own work that is over 100K then you can host your image on your own site or elsewhere and attach a link, but also please attach an under 100K version here (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).
Alternative Image Hosts if you do not have your own site are: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO) or mediafire.com (100 Meg per file) ... then post a link here in the thread to the site that is hosting your larger image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg br.jpg (195.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg brman.jpg (198.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg br_floater.jpg (186.8 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2009, 03:43 PM

how far off the ground does he want to be? if it is only a couple inches then shoot the scene, then put him in there and have him stand on a brick, reshoot, then edit out any brick that is leftover and work on the shadows to make it legit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I'm thinking it might be best not to use the green screen / paste him in option. I am worried that it would be too difficult matching perspectives and all (the budget isn't that big for the shoot so don't want to spend too much time)...

It would definitely make it easier if he only wanted to float a bit, but i have a feeling he might want to be a bit higher than 2".

Wish me luck and i'll be sure to post my results!

sb
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2009, 10:17 AM

greenscreen really is a piece of cake, extractions are simple, just use the color selector and select the green, then delete it out, then use the hue saturation to reduce the green cast in case any reflected off the subject.

i did a picture of my 2 year old boy where it appears there are 7 of them

i just put the camera on a tripod, snapped pic, changed him, repositioned him, snapped pic, wash rinse repeat.

if he wants himself floating on all the pics, you have 2 choices, clone out all the stools/stands and subsequent shadows, or extract him off a chromagreen screen and add in the shadows. this is pretty easy when you have multiple pics of the room, you can almost just layer them up and delete the top layers stool

size and perspective are pretty easy to control with the greenscreen.

if i were gonna do the shot, i would definalty greenscreen all the floating versions and add in the shadows.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 10:54 PM

Julia Fullerton does this well. Check out http://www.juliafullerton-batten.com/ , then projects, then inbetween.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 06:43 AM

I don't know what you want to do, but's for "multyple himself" i understand you want to achieve the silly thing of putting the same guy in different places inside a place. I personally don't like it, however, I'm not sure if that's what are you reffering to but here is the technique (I know it because I also have been interested to know it haha):

1) Put the camera on a tripod.
2) Shot the person located in one position.
3) Shot again with the person in other position.
4) Use very simple masks in PS to clone out the stuff.
5) Done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 06:45 AM

I will do that silly thing... just a min haha
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 AM

Are you reffering to this by "multiple himselfs"? Aka, low budget story tale haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC9822.jpg (63.1 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Compositing